Chapter 20

I took a deep breath of the salty air I'd become accustomed to

I took a deep breath of the salty air I'd become accustomed to. It felt great to be back at the beach. Even if I was working as a lifeguard, no more days sitting on the couch for days bored out of my mind.

"Everything look good from up there?" Reid called from below. I dropped my gaze down to him from the hut. He had his sunglasses on, looking as cool as a cucumber.

"It would be if you weren't down there," I responded, letting the binoculars hang from my neck.

"I thought you said I was perfect," he raised his eyebrows, a smirk stretching on his lips.

"I plead the fifth," I looked away from him, back at sea. I surveyed the beach and then looked out to the ocean. A rippling in the water caught my attention, I zeroed in on the area to see a small kid flapping his arms. "Shit, that's Bailey."

"Reid," I shouted, pointing to where he struggled in the water, "It's Bailey he's drowning!"

He turned his head quickly to the sea, his eyes locking in on Bailey as well. "Fuck," he dropped all the boards but one in his hands and started running. I ran back inside and rang the bell alerting people in the water that there was a drowning victim.

I rushed down the stairs to the shore, Reid was halfway out, swimming against the current to get to the boy. Many people gathered to watch him. I brought the binoculars to my face and saw that Reid was already helping Bailey onto the board. I let out a breath as he looked like he was still breathing. He stayed on the board, as Reid pushed him to the shore.

Bailey coughed a little as he was pulled off the board. A lady I'm assuming was his mom, rushed over to him, pulling him into her arms, tears rolling down her face. The crowd cheered, people clapping Reid on the back in appreciation and respect.

"Thank you so much," the mother cried, holding her son closer to her chest. Reid stood there, breathing heavily, dripping with water.

"I just wanted to see if mermaids were real," Bailey grumbled. The mother couldn't help but chuckle. "You can't do that Bailey," anger and fear rising in her voice again. "You could've gotten very hurt. Thank you again," she looked up to Reid.

He shook his head, patting Bailey's head, "No problem, it's my job to make sure munchkins like you don't drown yourselves." He said, tickling his stomach.

Bailey giggled, pulling back, "I'm sorry."

I hadn't realized my pulse had gone up nor did I notice how heaving my breathing was too. "Be careful next time," I chimed in, trying to calm my breath. He smiled shyly, walking away with his mother.

"Good job," I turned to Reid. "You saved a kid's life today. You should be proud of yourself." I patted his shoulder. He looked at my hand touching his skin and I pulled away.

"Thank you," he ran a hand through his wet hair, a small frown on his face.

"Are you okay?" I tilted my head in question.