Political Decisions

Louie exited the meeting room after concluding his check-in with the last mentor-mentee pair for the formal mentorship program he had established for the 19th Congress. As the most senior senator (for the nth time, in terms of tenure, not of age) and holding the position of Senate President Pro-Tempore, he had always strived to cultivate a culture of mentorship within the chamber. This program was his way of fostering growth and development among the senators.

Upon his return to the Senate following a three-year interlude in the "Bigger House," Louie was fueled by a strong desire to share his knowledge with a new wave of lawmakers. However, he recognized that time was a precious resource, and many experienced colleagues were equally eager to impart their wisdom. With these considerations in mind, he took the initiative to establish the pioneering batch of the Senate Mentorship Program.

This program aimed to create a platform where neophyte and junior senators could learn from their more seasoned mentors while the seasoned senators could gain fresh insights and ideas from their mentees. He envisioned a mutual exchange of knowledge and expertise, fostering growth and collaboration within the Senate.

The Senate's new mentorship program followed a systematic approach based on a carefully designed three-year plan. He matched each junior senator (neophytes and senators who have only been in the Senate for three years) to a mentor, considering their interests, the needs of their constituents, and the areas of legislation in which they wished to specialize. This matching process ensured that each new senator benefited from their mentor's knowledge and experience.

With this composition of the Senate having many more juniors in the roster, most mentors handled two mentees - a neophyte senator who needed someone to show them the ropes and another three-year senator who desired to take things to the next level.

Specific mentors, however, were responsible for guiding a single mentee who required specialized attention due to their unique needs. One such senator was Leon, the former Vice President and Louie's partner of six years, who he can't personally mentor for obvious reasons.

Leon's lofty ambitions and prominent presence in the political arena attracted potential mentors who wanted to claim that they mentored the former Vice President. However, his resistance to guidance or mentorship presented a significant hurdle in the mentoring process.

After careful consideration, Louie matched Leon with Juliana, one of the most seasoned lawmakers on the roster. Her extensive knowledge, experience, and assertiveness made her an ideal match for Leon. She could provide balanced advice that capitalized on his strengths while addressing his limitations.

Imee Marcos, a three-year senator and the eldest daughter of the former dictator, presented another challenge for the mentorship match-ups. Her controversial family history, connections to the current President, and dominant personality made her a poor fit for those who tended to be more conflict-averse or accommodating.

With these in mind, Louie paired Imee with Reese, the current Deputy Minority Leader, despite the potential for conflict. Recognizing Reese's strong personality and ability to hold her ground, Louie believed she was well-suited to stand up to Imee and offer constructive guidance. This required Louie to take on a more supervisory role for the initial stages, but he's confident that Reese could balance Imee's robust personality without being overshadowed.

Lastly, Louie took on the role of mentoring Neri Colmenares, the first senator from the influential activist bloc Makabayan Bloc. Despite Colmenares' extensive experience as a lawmaker and his proven capabilities in handling high-pressure situations, his concerns revolved around receiving guidance and advocacy to ensure that his colleagues did not actively silence him or compromise his safety.