Plots and Hidden Corridors

Though Striker was a professional, killing a king could not be done in a single day. There were always too many courtiers surrounding him. In order to make this work, we would have to be patient. 

 To help, I gave Striker a map of the hidden corridors within the palace walls. This twisting maze could allow a sinner (or imp) to move from one end of the palace to the other. This also detailed a hidden door that led to a small private room in my quarters that I used for a study.

That small study became the place where I would touch base with Striker to feed him tidbits of information. He would wait behind a door concealed with a tapestry for me to give the agreed-upon signal. After dismissing the ladies who attended me, I would slip into the study and tap on the door three times. Then, he would come in and we could have our covert talks.

I found that I liked his southern drawl and roguish manner. He was courteous but blunt at the same time, unlike the flattering falsity of the courtiers in King Henry's court. It was refreshing.

As time went on, I began to look forward to our meetings. It had become the highlight of my day. From his own manner, I could tell Striker was enjoying himself too. And despite this being a business arrangement, we found ourselves sharing bits of personal information while we plotted to kill the king.