Part 5

-
-
-

He drops by your residence one of those days. You open the door after hearing the doorbell and there he is standing outside your front door.

"Konichiwa, (Hello) Kisa-san!" He greets with a smile.

"Fumiya-san! What brings you here?" You're a little timid about how you look. You don't really doll up whenever you're home. And it's the most surprising thing to have him come over uninvited like this.

"I was just visiting an old friend nearby.  Thought I'd come by to say hello."

"Ah, I see," you don't really want to invite him in but maybe it won't hurt to just this time around, "Would you like to come in and have some tea?"

You didn't notice but there was a glint of gladness in his eyes. "Sure, that would be great. Then, ojamashimasu. (I'm sorry to bother you.)"

"Douzo. (Come in.)"

It's your first time having someone over from your company. And it's Fumiya for heaven's sake. You feel really delighted seeing him sitting on your couch and gazing at the painting you have on your wall. If only you're the girl he likes. Then it would've been perfect. But there's no room for hope for you. You're used to being friend-zoned. And it's nothing new. You might as well just enjoy his stay. So you help him feel at home for the day.

-
-
-

You try to forget that there's actually a girl Fumiya likes. In the next days, you just focus on enjoying your time with him again. Whoever that girl is, she's the luckiest girl in the world and she better realize that soon.

But as you do so, one person suddenly comes back to your life. And you do not expect him to start the change in your life.

"Kisa-san?" A familiar voice called on you at the office corridors early in the morning.

You did not notice but the guy who just passed by you is someone you can actually never forget.

"Kaito-san...?" You murmured as you see his face and clearly remember his name.

"Hi! You work here?" He uttered with a delighted look on his face. 

He looks more handsome than before. You can't believe he's standing in-front of you.

"Yeah... you too?" You replied.

He answered, "I just started today. It's good to see a familiar face. Can I have lunch with you later? Let's catch up."

With him looking so excited like that, you had no other choice but to oblige. "Yeah, sure."

"Are you still using your old number?"

"Hm. (nod)"

"I'll text you then. I'll see you later."

"Yeah."

He goes on to his wing leaving you stunned. Why do you have to meet him again of all people? This is not good. This is so not good for you.

-
-
-

You end up having lunch with Kaito like he asked. You should've known that it's a very bad idea. Sitting across him like this in a while surely relives a lot of old emotions you had in the past. A number of emotions you're better off without.

After having some small talk, he instantly notices the ring you're wearing. He's been staring at it for some time now.

"How long have you been working here?" He asked.

"About 4 months," obliging yourself to answer him.

"I see, you have company?"

"Yeah, they probably are just late for lunch."

Then he had the timing to ask about the ring, "You have a ring?"

"Yeah, a friend gave it to me."

"A friend? Don't you mean a boyfriend?"

"No, he's just a friend,"

"So it's a he. Have you finally—"

"Can we stop talking about me?"

He pauses for a second when he sees the annoyed look on your face, "Yeah, sorry my bad. Hisashiburi. (Long time no see.) How have you been? It's been 2 years right?"

You just really want to forget and you don't really want to remember. But how can you forget. This person is actually the last guy you ever confessed to and rejected you. He was that guy who told you he can't see you more than a friend. He is one of the major reasons you're now taking your feelings for Fumiya a secret.

"It's really just a small world," he added.

You used to be close and he was like this even before that was why you fell in love with him. But that rejection lead you to today. And you really just wanna move on that part of your life. But with him showing up like this, it's going to be tough.

That moment, Fumiya shows up behind you and asked, "Kisa-san?"

"Fumiya-san!" Your face beamed as you heard him and look up to him.

"And you are?" Fumiya raises his eyebrows at Kaito.

"Sakurai Kaito desu. Admin division's new junior accountant."

"Ah.. Takahashi Fumiya desu. Commercial division's junior editor."

Fumiya then sits with you and Kaito across you.  "You know each other?" His question directed to you.

"Hai, he was a colleague in college."

"Ah, I see."

"Yoroshiku onegai shimasu. (I'm looking forward to having good relations with you.)" Kaito uttered.

"Hai." Fumiya answered.

You can't hide your discomposure that Fumiya can tell you're not comfortable with the new guy. He wonders why, so he suddenly brings out a new topic.

"You wore it today, yubiwa (the ring)," Fumiya said.

You are kinda surprised that he talks about it in-front of Kaito when both of you never mentioned about it to others before. Kaito's expression changes from normal to bothered the moment he hears about it.

You don't really know what Fumiya's intentions are but you gladly go along with it, "Hai."

"Next time, I'll get you something even better."

"No, you don't really have to."

That's the moment you see Kaito's face harden at chewing his food. You've never seen him like this before. What's his problem? You thought to yourself.

-
-
-

— To be continued... —

nantokanarusa 23.09.03