Chapter 6

I find myself sitting in my room, my phone in hand, contemplating whether or not to send a text to Lara

I find myself sitting in my room, my phone in hand, contemplating whether or not to send a text to Lara. It's not that I don't want to reach out—I've enjoyed our conversations so far—but there's a part of me that's a little nervous. I can't help but wonder how she perceives our interactions, if she finds them as enjoyable as I do.

As I stare at the screen, I can't help but recall the way her face lights up when she smiles, the way her eyes twinkle when we share a laugh.

Should I just go for it? I wonder, my thumb hovering over the keypad. A part of me wants to text her, to keep that connection alive and thriving. But there's also that nagging doubt, that fear of misinterpreting her interest.

I remember her responses, the way she's matched my playful banter, the laughter that's exchanged in our messages. It's not just one-sided—she's genuinely engaged. Yet, I can't help but feel a twinge of vulnerability. What if I'm reading too much into it? What if I'm mistaken about the connection we've been building? After all, it's been just two weeks since we first met.

I take a deep breath, reminding myself that taking chances is a part of life. I've faced tough opponents on the ice, and reaching out to Lara shouldn't be any different. I type out a simple message, my fingers moving with a mix of uncertainty and anticipation.

Me: Hey Lara, hope you're having a great day. Can't stop thinking about that upcoming hockey game.

I stare at the screen, my heart racing as I hit send. The message is innocuous enough, a casual way to start a conversation.

A short pause...

Lara: Hi Matt! My day's been pretty good.

Lara: And you're right, the game's been on my mind too.

Me: Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Me: Just wanted to let you know that you've been on my mind a lot lately.

I press send, my heart racing as I add a touch of flirtation to my message. We've been enjoying our conversations, and I can't resist taking things up a notch.

Lara: Well, I have to admit, you've been a pretty constant presence in my thoughts too.

Her response has me grinning like a fool.

Me: Is that so? Guess we're both guilty of some daydreaming then.

I tap out the message, imagining her reaction to my words.

Lara: Guilty as charged. But hey, it's not every day I meet a charming hockey player who can hold a conversation.

I can't help but chuckle at her reply.

Me: Charming, huh? I'll take that as a compliment. And here I was just trying to keep up with your wit.

I type, my heart racing as I add a touch of confidence to my response.