Ramifications of Power (Spring 7)

VII.

The morning winds were beginning to pick up and Madoka's nose could still smell the rough salt and foamy mist from Audrey's water magic. They left quite the mess behind and trouble awaited them if they were caught going into the forest. Still, the maid thanked the kind gods that they were alive despite the trouble waiting for them ahead. An acrid and unsettling smell crept up on Madoka as she led Audrey towards Livertorjan.

She realized that the town was much larger than she thought when the girls first entered days ago. A rise in the terrain granted the town a natural advantage over those below its view. The Guild Hall was settled above several other buildings but the sight that caught the maid's attention was a curtain of smoke rising from a curious workshop.

She pondered if that was the Artisan Guild's own particular Hall. Madoka scanned the paltry defense in front of the town. Several stone formations were erected in order to ward off whatever attacked them. They looked similar to the ones Lord Leopride conjured up. Behind the defenses were a group of soldiers and what she presumed were bands of adventurers. They stood in front of a wall much older than the maid.

It was then when she noticed that some of the stone formations were not actually stone at all. They were piles of dead monsters! Green bloody creatures were dragged along the once beautiful flower fields. Their corpses left a trail of congealed guts from where they were slain to the piles. The soldiers must have had little time to prepare, Madoka thought. The sight of the dead did not move her as much as she thought.

Was it because she has seen so much death already?

The green corpses looked like rotted shrubbery with broken limbs reaching skyward so she turned her nose away. Could such a battle take place while they were trapped inside that strange realm? Madoka worried that perhaps time did not freeze like Audrey proposed. A shadow loomed over her, taking her away from her thoughts. Madoka was prepared to draw her swords the moment she sensed danger but as they drew closer she felt a tug on her sleeve.

"Incoming," she pointed. She looked shaken up by the sight of the dead creatures but her eyes were focused on something in the sky. "Above us."

Madoka growled and prepared for an aerial attack. She squinted at the peculiar shadow above them. A man? She readied her sword but Audrey tugged her sleeve once again. Madoka relaxed and stayed her blade. The princess must know something she does not.

"You two," called the flying shadow. "Get back to town at once! It's not safe... Oh it's you two."

Madoka recognized that voice as its owner drew closer. The flowers were crushed and a wake of dust pushed around the shadow's feet as Luxgor landed. The maid caught a glimpse of golden chains embedded in each of his limbs and wings. He had a stern look on his face as he scrutinized the two girls.

"Sir," Madoka greeted him and bowed. Audrey still remained behind her. Only the kind gods knew what trouble she was possibly up to. Luxgor was a powerful spellcaster, Madoka determined. His ability to walk and use golden chains must take considerable effort. After all, she found it difficult to move when she pulled on the strands. She refrained from touching the crystal in her heart.

"So," He slowly eased at the sight of Madoka. "I presume that you two were not involved with the monster battle in the forest, right?"

Madoka glanced to Audrey. She expected the woman to spin up a lie on the spot but only heard a nervous gulp.

"When you say battle," Audrey began but Madoka cut her off.

"No," Madoka declared. A small pang of guilt ricocheted in her throat but if she was afraid to admit they were responsible for the damage in the woods. She did not recognize the slain creatures or see any in the forest after all. "We were getting back from the copper commission we had completed. Right, Audrey?"