4

4 - The Deep End

Steven returned home not long after my surfing session had ended. I was still in my wetsuit when I saw him and Jeremiah come back into the house, and definitely made it a point to poke fun at the ridiculous little hairnet he adorned with his kitchen uniform. Despite my teasing, he still came upstairs to help me unpack, and he spent the whole time gushing over Shayla, and I couldn't help but laugh at how darling his crush was. Time didn't change Steven and I's friendship. We were forever.

Once we had finished we had to quickly get ready for Laurel's book signing. I didn't think to pack for the occasion, my only formal outfit had been the one I saved for Belly's deb ball. Fortunately Belly had a pretty black minidress that she let me borrow, seeing as she would be missing the signing to go on a date to the Drive-in with a boy named Cameron.

It seemed like everyone was falling in love this Summer, and honestly I hadn't really expected it. Years ago any one of us would've gagged at the idea of going on a date or kissing someone, but we were kids then. Of course they would be into all of this stuff now. Maybe a part of me resented on all of this change, but I tried not to dwell on it.

Laurel's book signing was nothing short of your typical adult gathering. Everybody dressed in semi-formal attire, making small talk in between sips of champagne. I followed Laurel around like a little puppy-dog as she introduced me to different well-known and esteemed authors. My mother advised that I take any opportunity to make connections this Summer in order to get a sparkling letter of recommendation for my college applications, and who better to write a recommendation letter than an author?

Eventually we got around to meeting a rugged, bearded older man. His name was Cleveland Castillo, a renowned author who was in Cousin's currently writing a book about sailing. He admitted that he knew nothing about the subject, but that was exactly why it was intriguing enough for him to write about. Laurel told me that she had already got him in contact with someone who knew all of the ups and downs about sailing, but that he would always be willing to have an extra hand on deck. I told Cleveland about the experiences I had maintaining and sailing on my Grandpa's boat, and he offered me a job with him. It was just what I needed for my applications, a summer job and future letter all in one.

Our conversation was interrupted by a crashing noise in the back corner that I immediately knew came from the boys messing around. Of course, Conrad had found a means of getting into the Chardonnay, and now all three of them were wreaking havoc. I looked at Laurel pitifully, she seemed very stressed out about their antics; worried that they might ruin her big night. I assured her that I would maintain the situation, and that she should go on and continue to mingle with her guests. A bit reluctant, she eventually gave in and went back to socializing as I stormed towards the boys.

"What on Earth do you guys think you are doing!?"

Jeremiah and Steven's faces morphed into sudden terror, as if they had just been caught by a parent and knew they were about to receive a stern scolding. Conrad seemed unphased, taking another sip of his glass of wine.

"You idiots are messing up Laurel's book signing!" I reprimanded.

"Honestly we should just ditch this place, I'm so bored." Steven complained, dragging out the 'so' for dramatic effect.

Jeremiah snickered, "Yeah, why is it that us four were dragged to this while Belly is off having fun with her little new boyfriend."

I frowned. Jeremiah had a point, the Laurel I knew would have never let Belly miss an event like this back when we were all children. Her absence served as yet another painful reminder that we were all growing. Soon enough, we would all have bigger priorities than one another, and maybe that meant the end of Summers like these. I couldn't lose them, not when I finally had them back after so long. Maybe it was my resentment that caused me to say what I did next: