Show Time

1

1

Taylor Swift sat back in the hard plastic chair and took in her surroundings of the grey and bland studio before her. For a tour that was to be extravagant and bright, the space they had rented to rehearse was a stark contrast to the imaginary of 'The Era's Tour'. She stared at herself in the mirror that covered the wall opposite her. She could see her hair was beginning to curl and bags were forming under her eyes from all the endless hours of rehearsal. They had just finished blocking the dances and routines earlier in the day, so now the only thing left to do was to repeat the choreography another one hundred times until it was engraved into her memory. Oh, and search for a new guitarist, which is what they were currently doing.

To her left sat Erica, her tour manager. The woman held a stoic composure as she ran the nib of a pen down a long list of names. To Taylor's right was a man called David, who was some sound tech guy and had an expansive knowledge of music. Today was the first time she had ever met him and the fifty year old couldn't stop making Taylor giggle with his little jokes and chirpy attitude. Definitely a married man with kids, probably two but possibly three.

She sighed at the thought of marriage and how her whole relationship had burned down only six months ago. It was a mutual split but they had always had their problems. It was inevitable it would never work and no matter how hard they tried to fix things, everything reached a dead end. Now she was recovering from the heartbreak of a six year relationship and she was almost through it, but sometimes people like David, who had perfectly normal lives, made her think about her ex lover.

Her thoughts were interrupted as Erica leaned towards her. "I think this next one could be the one." she whispered.

The past seven auditions had gone...good. They were all highly talented musicians, better at guitar than Taylor herself, but they were missing the wow factor that her team were in search for.

"She finished top of her class in LACM on a fully funded scholarship. Musicians like her are extremely hard to come by for a tour, most of them go to the orchestra or something like that."

"Ah yes, LACM, Los Angles College of Music. Boy, do I remember those days." David spoke out thoughtfully, as he gazed towards the ceiling as if he were reliving the memory.

"Fingers crossed, if she's good enough we can call it a day and head home." Erica said as she rubbed her forehead. The manager was obviously very stressed with all the arrangements the tour required. Taylor could see it was physically draining the life out of the woman. It was the same for them all, the dancers, her band, the lighting people, herself too, everyone was exhausted preparing for this huge tour. But she knew, the hard work would pay off and it would be the best performance of the century. At least she hoped that.

With the wave of a finger, Erica beckoned for her assistant to come over. He sped towards the table, not wanting his boss to be waiting a second.

"Send in Ms. Ross please."