The Interview

As I stepped in the elevator in the Office building, a sudden anxiety started to rise inside me.
"Why do I even feel this? It's just a simple office job where I have to answer some phone calls, send emails and maybe engage with my coworkers sometimes." - I thought to myself. I tried to rationalise it but that did nothing to what I was feeling inside.
I did a fair amount of research last night on the company. Apparently there was a camera crew there for years, trying to make a watchable show out of the most useless job in the world. It couldn't have been that big since I haven't even heard of it back home.
As I was belittling the company I applied to work for, I realized it was time to get off the elevator and face reality. I need to get this job.
I swallowed down every negative thought I had in my brain. I'm qualified, smart, attractive and hard-working, why wouldn't the boss want me here?

A seemingly young, bubbly woman sat at the receptionist desk.

- "Good Morning, I'm Erin. Can I help you?" -she asked

- "Morning, I'm here for the job interview for the Customer service representative position, my name is Y/N."

She leaned closer to me and started whispering: - "You're actually the only one who showed up to the interview yet. There was only one guy who applied but he's not qualified at all. Dwight has to hire you."

My eyes widened and I felt at ease immediately.

- "But you didn't heard that from me. I haven't said anything!"- she reacted with a bit of panic in her voice, loud enough.
The door behind me cracked open.

- "Didn't heard what?" - someone spoke in a deep and resonant voice.

I turned around and realized it was Dwight Schrute, now I can say confidently, my future boss.

- "Um, noth- I mean- um." - Erin started stuttering and tried to laugh it off. "Nothing." - she said it with a big, seemingly air-headed smile.

- "Anyways, it doesn't matter. Y/N, please take a seat in my office, so we can began this interview." - he said it dominantly.

After I sat down my eyes immediately spotted a humongous painting on the wall that portrays Dwight and another man. Next my gaze focused on an achievement award that was presented to him and someone named Mose Schrute by the Agricultural Board of Pennsylvania State. I actually found last night's research not so useless after this because I remembered that I read that he owned a beet farm with his cousin. It functions as a farm and an inn, there are also events there. It's not too popular though.
That was one thing that made me respect him more. I want a life away from the city too. I would love to live in a farm.

- "So Y/N let's not waste each others time anymore. Question. What quality would make you a good customer service representative?"

- "I think I'm good at resolving issues on my own. I'll try my best to answer and satisfy the clients needs" - I don't remember a time where I've ever felt this anxious to talk to someone in my life.

- "You...think?"

Shit.

- "I mean I know I'm determined, that's why I applied for this job."

I see the look on his face. He's not impressed at all.

- "I would consider myself as a people's person" - I said while trying to save myself.

He looks at me like I'm the most idiotic person on the world.

- "Right..." - he says with a slightly wrinkled nose.

I can tell he has some sort of disappointment in his eyes, like it's not what he expected from me when he called me in for an interview.

- "Describe yourself in three words Y/N." - he says after shaking off the mild disgust from his face.

- "Empathetic, hard-working, patient." - I mostly only say these things because I know exactly that these are the qualities that a good customer service person needs. It's a bit of a lie though but that's what he wants to hear.

- "You say hard-working? I like that." - his eyes widened with a bit of a smile. Without teeth.

God. The one characteristics I didn't lie about. Maybe this will go to the right tracks after all.

The interview went to a great extent. It looked like he really wants to make sure I'm a right fit for this company. Very serious. I got questions that I was prepared for and also got some that didn't seem...appropriate. There were few that are rather connected to survivalism than an office job. I don't think I need to know how to fight a bear to make phone calls and send emails.  Some situational, like how would I protect my coworkers in a specific situation, I mean I'm not batman just a customer representative. He stated that it is an important question actually and somehow determinates how the interview will go.
There was also a more personal one.

- "Are you in a relationship Y/N?"

- "No, I'm not right now."

- "Good. It would only distract you from work. Trust me I've seen it in person with some of my coworkers back in the days" - he explained it while nodding.

Even after his explanation, it still didn't seem like too appropriate to ask on an interview.

After hundreds of questions and a fair amount of anxiety rushing through my body, paired with sweat, he said what I wanted to hear.

- "You're hired. You start on next monday. Welcome to the company Y/N!"

After what Erin said to me I knew I would get this job but still it felt really good hearing this from him.