12th♟

12th

"She's... your wife?" I asked after processing the new information. "Deceased wife?"

It was as if I found Walter's soft and vulnerable side and just stabbed it repeatedly with the sharpest knife I could find. I saw his smile drop. I felt bad saying that. It's not everyday you see an old man cry over his love.

"Sorry," I muttered, feeling guilty.

"Sorry for what?" he asked with a sniffle. Great, now I feel really bad.

"Sorry for bringing it up," I answered, biting my bottom lip again.

"It's okay," he said, smiling a broken smile. "Just letting you know. You guys seem to talk about her a lot. It makes me smile that she's here somewhere. Well, her ghost, at least."

"Ah, yes..." So he can't see her? Or talk to her? Is there a slight chance I can transfer my 'superpower' to him? I feel really bad for him. "What was her name?"

Walter smiled, as if remembering those bittersweet memories of his wife. The wrinkles on his face seemed to softened and he was staring at the wall. Yep, he was definitely remembering the old memories with her.

His mouth finally opened as he said, "Mattie Lin."

"Mattie? That's a beautiful name," Grace complimented, smiling a small smile. "She must be beautiful."

"Yes," Walter replied, his smile growing bigger. "She was."

Actually, pass the whole translucent thing of Mattie, she is quite beautiful. Her hair braided into a one sided braid and her soft looking eyes when not in attack mode. Walter and Mattie must've been such a happy couple.

"When did she...?" Kazim asked, trailing off. Walter must get it, at least.

"She died when she was 60. I was 67 then," Walter replied. I saw his unshed tears. He was really sad.

"So it's been three years ever since your lost?" Kylie calculated.

Walter nodded. "Yes. I was devastated. She was my everything. I wish I could talk to her again."

I kept quiet. I knew a way but it was far too risky for anyone to try. Even if he's her husband. We can't risk anything.

"Oh, we see," I said coolly. "Well, I'm very sorry about your lost, Walter. We have to go now. Thank you so much for the information. We'll be off now."

Each and everyone of us waved at Walter before walking out of this lair of his.

"Was that wise?" Alexis asked once we were on school's grounds, walking back to class.

"Hmm?" Chin Hui hummed, turning her head to her. "Wise what?"

"Not telling him," Alexis said. "You know, about Mattie. He seemed really heart broken back there. I feel sad for him."

"Even so, it's a risky move to take," I told her. "You know what the consequence was. We can't risk that."

They turned quiet, remembering what I told them.

"Yeah, but-" Mii wanted to say but I cut her off.

"We can't. It's not like that could be replaced or anything. It's far too risky. I don't want to do it."

"Plus, there are students dying one by one here, remember? If we don't stop this within a month, we're going to die, too," Chin Hui reminded.

"We don't have that much time," Wei Lun informed. "We have, like... 3 weeks left?"