Stolen

It had been a year since Taylor's contract with Big Machine Records had ended. A year since she'd finally taken ownership of her own music, and with the release of her latest album Lover, it seemed like everything finally seemed to be working in her favor.

That was, until you found her cross-legged on the bed, her phone shattered on the hardwood floor next to her and her eyes puffy and red. 

You knew you had to handle this delicately. You could only assume this had something to do with her career, and you knew how much that meant to her. 

"Taylor," you whispered softly, crawling to the space next to her. "What's wrong?"

She shook her head, pushing a stray strand of blonde hair behind her ear. "It's him. It's fucking him again."

Her voice broke, and with it broke your heart. You couldn't bear to look at the sight of your girlfriend in such a state. If you had it your way, that pathetic excuse of a man would've been six foot under right now.

"I've worked so hard, you know?" she said, her eyes fixated on her hands. "I just want to be free of him."

You gently placed your arm on her shoulder, prompting her to look up at you. "I promise you, he's not going to win. It's going to be me and you, and your millions of fans who support you. I'm always going to be right by your side, fighting for you."

She nodded, releasing a deep sigh. 

"Yeah," she finally said, taking in a breath of fresh air. "Yeah, you're right. He won't win. He can't."

You barely caught the slight wobble in her voice at the last word. 

"We won't let him," you reassured her, wrapping your arm around her shoulder.

Taylor nodded, and for a moment, let herself melt into solace of your comforting embrace. 

---

A/N: do you guys prefer longer or shorter chapters