Chapter 4!!

Link lay on the same bed he did when he had first woken up at Lon Lon Ranch. His eyes were red and puffy from crying, but he just felt numb. There were truly no words to describe what he felt, but that seemed like the best one.

Numb.

Link raised his arm, splaying out his fingers. The golden Triforce mark on the back of his hand glinting. He had taken off his tunic, not wanting to remember that forest. Not wanting to remember his purpose.

Oh yeah. My reason for living on this cold Earth. My purpose.

Link swung his legs off the side of his bed. The tips of his toes just barely touched the ground. With a small sigh, Link stood up and grabbed his tunic. As he pulled it over his head, the forest scents washed back over him. No matter how many times he washed it, how many times he got it dirty, it always smelled the same. To most Hylians, scents didn't mean anything. They would have laughed at him, called him weak for letting something as simple as a smell to get to him. Link grabbed his shield and sword, and opened the small, wooden door.

He was greeted by sunshine and the now familiar calls of farm animals. She was there too, Malon, singing a song that was both familiar and unfamiliar at the same time to a brown horse with a white patch on her forehead, and black hooves.

"Link!" Malon called, her pulchritudinous blue eyes flashing in the light.

"I was just singing to Epona here!"

"How are you feeling?" Malon asked.

Numb. "I'm fine! Much better that yesterday," Link replied.

An unreadable expression took flight across Malon's face. Doubt? Pity? Link couldn't tell.

"I must be getting on my way, though, as I do have a quest to complete."

"Oh." Malon's face fell.

"Well, in that case, I want you to take Epona with you."

"She's a trusty horse, and I'll teach you the song to call her."

Link's clothes rustled as he brought out Saria's ocarina. He knew most of the notes on the instrument by sound, and he gestured to Malon to go ahead.

Malon sang, with a voice as pure as silver, making even the birds stop chirping to listen to her. Her red hair swayed gently in the wind, and Link could've sworn the animals were also singing in their own way, but Malon was truly the centerpiece of it all. Link played along on the Ocarina, and, as soon as it started, the song was over.

Link sighed. He didn't feel numb anymore. He felt... strangely at peace. Purified, even.

Epona made her way over to Link and rested her muzzle in the palm of Link's hand.

"She likes you!" Malon exclaimed, her eyes shining with happiness.

"As much as I hate to do it, I must take my leave," Link said with evident sadness.

"Alright." Said Malon. She wrapped her arms around his waist. Link had never experienced physical contact such as this, and his eyes widened in surprise. His pupils dilated, and he uncertainly returned the embrace, resting his head on her shoulder, and breathing in the flowery scent of her shampoo.

"Stay safe, Link. And make sure you visit when you have the chance," Malon whispered.

"I will. You haven't yet seen the last of me."

And with that, Link broke the embrace, and hopped onto Epona's saddle. He trotted through the gates of Lon Lon Ranch, refusing to look at the girl he was leaving behind.