1. AUGURIES : CLUTCHES OF TIME

'Sins revert to you' a saying so common
Yet remains failed to be understood by many its true depth
For deeds committed here shall be paid here
Punishments one deserves
Promises of a lifetime, even if not in one life, must both be kept.

--------------------------------------------------------------

11th September, 2023.

Walking dreamily through the crowded streets of the newly built arcade in the busy city of Doon, her mind had been totally occupied by the beautiful pieces of jewellery hanging all about in a tidy stall located just before her - a common among the many others present in the noisy area.

Advancing her steps towards it unknowingly, she was so lost in the beauty of the tiny stall - her beautiful eyes just being glued to it the entire time, glittering with a joy so childlike - that the blue orbs shining with ecstasy seemed to reflect her inner soul clearly.

As she reached her destination, her unknowingly moving steps gradually came to a halt as her hand involuntarily lifted itself, moving towards the particular object that had been the source of her attention all along - a pair of simple yet elegant blue silk thread earrings.

So engrossed was she in her own world that even her subconsciousness as well as her peripheral vision failed to take notice of a figure hustling towards her past the strange faces. As she was about to hold the object of her quest, she was suddenly pulled out of her reverie. Her hand suddenly got fixated into the air by another thin one gripping her wrist in a strong hold.

Startled, she turned to find an old man standing only a couple of feet away from her, staring straight into her eyes with a hard and unreadable expression plastered on his face. An old blanket was wrapped around his scraggy figure, his white rough beard covering half of his neck, his almost yellow eyes seemed to be placed on dark round circles just beneath them, while his wrinkled face had been twisted into a hard undecipherable mask.

"Chances are given only once, and those who are lucky enough to have them often fail to utilise them. A new life cannot be started if one is tied to the previous one. A new vow isn't allowed to be taken if the base of the previous one has been left shattered. All the promises and truths might be just an illusion. Illusions might entangle to create a poisonous utopia. But what you have left pierces it and comes back to you. Deeds are paid at the end of the day. Punishments are imposed by the cruel fate. Sins revert to you in every possible way." The man almost yelled, the magnitude of his strange, obscure words were intensified by the hoarseness in his voice, as she stood there staring straight at him, the eerie words sending a shiver down her spine.

"Excuse me, I don't know you! Leave my hand!" Trying her best to keep her expressions composed, she said in a bold voice, simultaneously trying to pry his hand off her wrist.

"You don't need to. I know you. Very well." He replied with the hint of a strange smirk in his now narrowed eyes as she now felt somewhat scared of this man who just refused to let go of her wrist as well as his gaze on her face.

"Tara!" A voice called out to her from behind making her head reflexively turn towards the source. The sight of the person made her feel a bit relaxed. She kept staring at him, too shocked to speak, as he approached her.

"What are you doing here alone? We were supposed to shop together." The man enquired with a slight smile on his face.

"I-I..This man.." She managed, turning towards the other side again. However, her senses failed to catch a glimpse of any such person standing before her. Scanning the area around suspiciously, her worried eyes rested at the other man before her as he raised his brows at her questioningly.