Chapter 8: Side Effects

A large abandoned apartment building resided in a rural area of California. Two construction workers were stationed inside the building deciding what part of the apartment they should knock down next.

"Ya'know if Councilwoman Liang wanted this building demolished, why'd she wait so long before having it teared down?" One of the construction workers asked.

"My guess is that not all the board members agreed to tear it down. Considering some of them consider this a national landmark." The other construction answered.

The construction worker scoffed loudly before laughing, "Those old bastard's consider this condemned building a national landmark?!" He laughed harder as his friend tried to stiffle his own laughter.

"I know right!" He roared in laughter, before a loud sound crashed behind them gaining both their attentions, "What was that?"

"What do you think? It's probably, Sean, tryna give us a good scare." He chuckled, wiping a tear from his eye.

"Yeah, you're probably right." He agreed, before a blur rushed behind them gaining their attention again, "Sean, come on! This isn't funny anymore!"

"Yeah! Come out, or you'll regret it!"

"Leave...this...house...before...you...DIE!!!" A voice warned eerily. The two workers unconsciously backed up bumping into each other.

"Come out, you cowardly bastard!" He yelled, picking up a large wrench while his cohart picked up the staple gun.

"Ye-yeah. We're not afraid of you!" He stuttered out, holding his staple gun up while gazing around cautiously.

"Leave...NOW!!!" The voice roared in anger as a blur raced into the darkness.

The two workers glanced around cautiously before the one holding the wrench vanished dropping his weapon in the process. The one holding the staple gun turned around immediately when he heard his friends cries of pain. His eyes immediately widened in fear as he dropped his staple gun and ran towards the exit. Just as he was able to leave the blur tackled him into the darkness, leaving behind his screams of pain.

In another part of California, a robbery was currently underway with the robbers in a blue Sedan. The Rust Bucket was currently in hot pursuit of the robbers. The blue sedan did it's best to try and lose them, but they weren't going anywhere.

"Where's Ben?" Max asked as Gwen gazed into the back of the RV where the hero in question was gone.

"Beats me." Gwen answered as they kept their gazes on the get away car. That was until Gwen felt a sudden chill run up her back, "Grandpa, do you feel that?"

"You don't think-?" Max begun as they saw a large moth alien flying above them.

"Yeah, he turned into Big Chill." Gwen answered.

The Necrofriggian gazed blew at the sedan before gazing at himself, "Was going for Chromastone, but I'm sure I can make this work." He uttered to himself, "Now there's a few ways I can get this done? Which way should I go?" He grinned before his wings closed in around him and he vanished from view.

"Where'd he go?" Gwen looked at Max who shrugged.

"Who knows, your cousin has a weird way of dealing with bad guys." Max answered.

Inside the get away car, there were four robbers, two in the back shooting at the RV, and two upfront. They were so distracted with getting away they didn't realize the temperature in the car started dropping drastically.