Science Fiction Like Reality of AI

Prior to reading this blog post, I would suggest that you please read the article by Mr. Bill Gates, titled: A thought-provoking tale of friendship and robots.

Mr. Bill Gates' B log

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Klara-and-the-Sun

Welcome back!

Now that you have read the article published by Mr. Bill Gates, which is a sincere attempt made by the IT mogul on understanding what it might feel like living and interacting with super intelligent machines in the future. It attempts to gauge the emotional similarities between Klara and Josie. And Klara, being a highly empathetic and sensitive robot offers human-like companionship to Josie who is a young girl and is bedridden due to her medical condition.

Mr. Gates also expresses his strong belief and unwavering support for "Good AI" where he sees sensitive robots as friends of humanity and at the same time he supports the fact that when need arises the owners of these emotional machines should not hesitate to pull the plug and render them inactive, if not dead.

It feels satiating in a way, that the individual who shall always be remembered for making computers personal computational machines that anybody could own, and not just the rich. And it undoubtedly is Mr. Gates who made computers accessible by un-complicating their use. That is where his brilliance lies and history shall always offer him this credit.

I am not sure whether Microsoft will survive the rapidly changing ecosystem of technology, because there is lack of innovation and Microsoft at this point needs one more Mr. Bill Gates with the vision of Mr. Steve Jobs, if it is to beat its rivals, who have choked Microsoft's revenue model i.e. Windows and Ms. Office, by making them a part of Open Source. ( No doubt Microsoft has diversified and XBox still adds a lot to its revenue, but it has not been able to gain the supremacy it enjoyed in the early days of Windows and Ms. Office. I was very young in those days and mastering the movements of the mouse took a few hours. The memory of those young days tends to develop an emotional attachment towards Microsoft that helped young kids to explore the wonder of computers. It was a historic moment in the field of technology! )

In future computers will work on highly secure, but open source OS and daily utility software like: MS. Office. And users will be able to buy these open source, interactive virtual processors, based on several factors. I envisage it as cloud based virtual computers owned by people like me. A niche that has the potential of Ms Office and Windows like revolution. But even in this game, all will not survive, only the best would. What will define the best in this business model is a business secret that I would prefer not to disclose in this blog post. It will be an epoch in computer technology!

And this is the main struggle of Microsoft. I believe it is the struggle of every business, every multinational business especially. At some point in their business journey they lose focus. ( Google is an exception that is a wonder in itself ) Moreso, when a business has reached its peak performance based on just a few products/services it always has two options. Either to sustain somehow or innovate, and break every barrier.

A burden similar to the one carried by a superstar, who has a young fan following because of his/her style and looks, but as he/she ages, he/she is unable to shed this young man/woman image, thus becoming the victim of it, eventually. Unless you are exceptionally talented like Ms. Meryl Streep. Google has managed to be this Ms. Meryl Streep, but Microsoft, that is investing in many different sectors, is on the way to becoming Ms. Meryl Streep, but let us see who wins the Oscar.

Ah! I too need to shed my emotional attachment towards Microsoft and return to the main topic.

So, referring to Mr. Gates' blog.