Chapter 2 - Instruction (1/1)

A cascade of thoughts inflated Akita's mind, like an unrelenting storm pounding against the shore. How had he managed to unleash such a formidable ability, potent enough to annihilate the demon? His life so far had scarcely afforded him the time, let alone the means, to cultivate such an extraordinary power. He was barely in physical condition to bear the weight of an ability as massive as the one he had just displayed.

Toshiro, seeing the confusion etched on Akita's face, decided to elucidate. "Akita," Toshiro began, his voice steady and comforting, "the source of your power, the force that enabled you to obliterate the demon, is a profoundly potent life force known as Evolix."

Akita, now even more bewildered, questioned, "Evolix? What is that, Toshiro?" His eyes were wide, and his voice trembled slightly, echoing the enormity of the revelation he was about to receive.

With a gentle smile, Toshiro began to unravel the mystery. "Evolix, Akita, is not just a mere power. It is a primal life force, an elemental essence that shapes the stats and performance of an individual's abilities. The life force occurs when a person strengthens the value of their electrons up from -1 onwards. This is done with extreme concentration of the human body and mind. There are 2 variations of Evolix. There are Human Evolix and Mutant Evolix. Human Evolix relates to the type of Evolix ordinary humans dispose of. It is usually presented as very small as ordinary humans do not naturally have the ability to strengthen their electrons to such a high value in order to emit Concentrated Evolix. Mutant Evolix is the type of Evolix Mutants dispose of; however, Mutants naturally have a stronger mentality and physicality than normal humans."

Toshiro looked at Akita with a stern but caring expression. "It's time I tell you about the different groups that operate in this city. For too long you've been sheltered, you managed to kill one demon out of many in the city, so you need to know what's out there if you hope to survive."

Akita nodded nervously. He knew the city could be dangerous, but had tried to avoid learning the grim details.

Toshiro began, "There are 7 main demon colonies, each controlling different parts of the city. First, in the industrial district you have the Kuro colony. Their leader Kuro handles all smuggling and illegal trades. They are ruthless and will kill without hesitation, and wear firm tight suits with the power to create, eat, devour and manipulate Souls. One of these was the one who found you.

He continued, "Next is the Ishida colony in the downtown financial district. Led by the cunning Ishida, they specialize in fraud, extortion and money laundering. They have the ability to manipulate minds concretely, thus why they are hard to track down. However, they are more discreet than others and generally avoid outright violence. Still, cross them at your peril."

"Moving to the entertainment district, the flamboyant Otori runs his colony. They control drugs, gambling and the sex trade. They manipulate immortality, and use test subjects to illegally manipulate human and mutant DNA. Otori craves attention and prestige, so his gang is known for flashy displays of wealth and an excessive lifestyle. But beneath the surface they are just as merciless as any other."
Akita was growing pale, but Toshiro pressed on. "In the slums you will find the Fujimoto colony. As scavengers and thieves, they eke out a hard living preying on the desperate. They harness the power of Shapeshifting also being utilized as identity fraud. Led by the wild Fujimoto, they fight constantly over scraps and are barely contained in chaos."

"North of the city is the territory of Yamamoto and his samurai-like clan. They are a team of assassins who kill anyone who inspects them, and deal in illegal arms and protection rackets. Yamamoto demands absolute obedience and their training makes them deadly fighters. Even I think twice about crossing them."
Swallowing hard, Akita said "Just two more, right?" Toshiro nodded solemnly. "In the residential areas is the clan of Nakajima. Known for their shadowy assassinations and covert operations, they strike fear into all. They harness the power of Invisibility and Portal Creation.