2023/2024

In the summer City lost Ilkay Gündogan and Riyad Mahrez, but signed Josko Gvardiol and Mateo Kovacic.

The first test is the Community Shield against Arsenal.

Starting lineup:
Stefan Ortega
Akanji - Dias - Stones - Walker
Rodri - Santi
Bernardo Silva - Jack Grealish
Julian Alvazez - Haaland
Let the game begin:

'14
Rodri shoots from the edge of the box, but his shot gets deflected, and it's the first corner of the game.

'25
Havertz gets the ball with his back against the wall, but he turns and shoots. Ortega saves it, and the rebound by Martinelli gets blocked.

'38
Kai Havertz has another huge chance within the box, but Ortega saves again.

The first half is over.

'52
Stones gets on the end of a header coming from a corner, but it's straight at Ramsdale.

'64
City makes 2 substitutes. Cole Palmer comes on for Erling Haaland, and Santi Fernández comes off, replacing him is Kevin De Bruyne.

'76
Cole Palmer takes a shot from just inside of the box, and it curls into the top left corner!

Arsenal 0 - 1 Manchester City

'82
Phil Foden has a massive chance to make it 2,but he misses.

'83
A corner comes in, Rodri heads it at the near post

'100
Leandro Tossard' s shot deflect off Manuel Akanji towards the goal, and Ortega can't do anything about.

Arsenal 1 - 1 Manchester City

After 102 minutes of play, it will be decided by a penalty shootout.

The first penalty is taken by Martin Odegard.
He slots it home, with the keeper diving the wrong way.

Next up, Kevin De Bruyne.
He hits the crossbar!

Trossard scores Arsenal's second penalty.

Bernardo Silva makes it.

Saka scores as well.

Rodri's pen is saved by Ramsdale.

If Fabio Viera scores, Arsenal win. And he does.

Arsenal are winners of the Community Shield!

Interview with Santi after the match:
-So, Santi tough match, what are your thoughts?

-Well, I hate the Community Shield. The next time we have to play, we should just reject, and pass it on. I'm joking, of course. It was a hard game.

-What do you think went wrong?

-I'm not sure anything went wrong. I feel like we played really well, and it was a close game between two great teams. Arsenal were very good last season as well, and they've just improved after signing Declan(Rice) and Timber.

-What were your thoughts on being brought off, and was that discussed before the game?

-No, of course not. The subs are never talked about before games, because they depend on the game itself. Obviously, I wasn't delighted to have to come off, but I understand Pep's decision.

-Lastly, and on a more positive thought, what were your feelings when Palmer scored?

-It was great seeing it. I was very happy we scored, obviously, but I was also happy for Cole(Palmer) because he works very hard, trying to prove in the limited game time he gets, so he deserved it.

-Thank you for the interview, and good luck for the season!

-Thanks

August 11th:

The first Prem game of the season is away from home against Burnley.

Lineup:

Ederson
Walker - Akanji - Aké - Lewis
De - Bruyne - Rodri - Santi Fernández
Foden - Haaland - Alvaréz

In the goal of Burnley is James Trafford, who played with Santi in the academy of City. They meet in the tunnel:
-Good to see you James.
-You too. Good luck. Don't score on me!
-No promises.

Another person who he meets in the tunnel is Vincent Kompany:

-Santi Fernández! Nice to meet you.
-You too.
-I have heard great things about you, it would have been nice to play together.
-Thanks, that means a lot, coming from a City legend, like you. You know, I was a ball boy when you scored against Leicester in 2018.
-Wow,that is good to hear. Wish you a good luck, and have a good game.
-Thanks, you too.

Let the 2023/2024 Premier League season begin:

'4
After a short corner, Kevin puts the ball in the box, Rodri gets a head to it, and Haaland scores from close range.
Great start!

Burnley 0 - 1 Manchester City

'11
De Bruyne puts another cross into the box, Erling attempts a volley, but it's over the bar.

' 18
The first chance of Burnley, Amdouni turns Aké inside the box, but his shot is weak and is straight at Ederson.

'23
Kevin De Bruyne has to come off with an injury, Mateo Kovacic replaces him. After he comes off, the fans chant:
*Ohh, Kevin De Bruyne! Ohh, Kevin De Bruyne!..

' 29
Rodri gives the ball away close to their goal. Foster runs and goal, unleashes a shot from inside the box, but misses. This is not the first time this happens, Burnley are very successfull with their pressing, and often get the ball high-up the pitch.

'36
Walker cuts it back from the right. Julian takes a touch, then passes it to Haaland, who smashes it top bins.

Burnley 0 - 2 Manchester City

' 45+5
After 5 minutes of added time, the first half is over.

'46
The second half kicks off.

' 52
After a great through ball past 2 defenders, Haaland shoots inside the box, but the defender blocks it, and it goes out to a corner.

'55
Alvarez puts in the corner, which meets Rodri' s header, but Trafford saves it.

'60
Erling gets a long ball, beats his man and lays off the ball to Alvarez, who misses the target.

' 75
After a free-kick, there is chaos in the box, and Rodri scores.

Burnley 0 - 3 Manchester City

'79
Triple subtitution: on comes Gvardiol, Laporte and Palmer.
Off go: Lewis, Aké and Haaland.

' 86
Phil passes it to Julian, who shoots, but it's at Trafford.

90+4
Zaroury gets a tough tackle on Walker. At first, it's a yellow, but after VAR he gets a red card.
Walker comes off, Mcathy takes his place.

'90+9
That's full time at the first Premier League game of the 2023/2024 Premier League season.
The final score is Burnley 0 - 3 Manchester City.

Santi goes up to James Trafford, and they exchange shirts.
-Well, I didn't score on you.
-No, but a spanish DM (defensive-midfielder) and a 6'5 norwegian did.
-Well, don't worry about. Keep your head up. And your club up.
-Nice one. See you for round two in January at Etihad.
-You bet.