i. Falling

The book of Genesis says; 'He blew into his nostrils the Breath of Life, and man became a living being. '

Now ... What happens when an angel was gifted this in punishment for declaring a desire in free will ? Well, as Alyx tumbled rapidly down through Earth's atmosphere, wings burning away just as swiftly — he took his first breath into newly given lungs. And it burned. It burned like the flaming sword itself had been cast into his throat.

Alyx screamed, but found no sound escaped. The agony of breathing, a pain he hadn't anticipated could be bared. HE hadn't revoked Alyx's immortality. However he had given him the human capacity for pain.

Hitting what mortals would call terminal velocity, he spun rapidly, heading for a yellow surface that seemed soft to the touch. His wings were merely flesh and bone, the flesh rapidly burning as he spun, chunks of viscera being flung away. Clenching his eyes shut, the former angel's halo snapped the moment he hit the sand — a feeling so harsh it burned his scalp and face. Disfiguring what had once been a perfect and holy visage. Alyx had been envious, desiring what the humans had. God had given him this, as a reminder of his impermanence in the ranks of innumerable guardians and warriors.

Chest heaving, lungs on fire, Alyx tried his best to learn exactly how breathing worked.

Do humans know how to do this from the moment they are born ? This is agony !

He felt a wetness rise in his eyes, raising a scorched hand, he touched the salty liquid. It burned at the touch, however he knew what these ... Tears, were.

Agony .

That was all he could feel for days, weeks, and months after the fall. He had spent this time watching fellow angels fall from the sky. Slowly biding his time to heal. It was much slower, and he had resorted to consuming animals that came his way. Snakes, scorpions, rats, even vultures weren't safe. This new life baffled him.

What was he capable of here? What waited for him in civilization?

He simply couldn't wait to find out. As the sun hung low on the horizon, Alyx finally pulled himself to his feet. Halo snapped into horns to grow outward instead of a ring behind his head.