Chapter 12.

Emmett's car was in the parking lot by time practice ended, which was a first for him. He was standing against the passenger door with his shades on. I walked up to him and without saying a word I hugged him. It took him a minute to respond but once he did his arms were strung tightly against my waist. His head rested on top of mine as we stayed in comfortable silence. "I'm so sorry Em." I stepped out of his embrace and held his hands. "You didn't deserve the receiving end of my instability. You should have been the first person I went too. I panicked, it hasn't happened in two years and out of the blue I get the dreams again. I was afraid I would go back to being that sad girl who everyone treated differently and pitied. I thought I could handle it myself and ride it out. You're my best friend, I never wanted to hurt you." I laid it out on the table. He didn't say anything, instead he pulled me back into his chest and I sighed, letting that be known as 'we're okay'.

"I'm always here Charls." He whispered into my hair. I just nodded my head in acknowledgment. "I haven't been the easiest either, and for that I'm sorry, again. I should have respected your wishes and listened to you." He apologized again. I shook my head and stepped back, I smiled at him.

"It's all cool." I said.

"Like an ice cube!" Scott yelled from his car.

"Hey that's my line!" I yelled back at him. He stuck out his tongue at me and climbed into his car.

"Let's go?" Em asked me.

"Actually I need to go somewhere first, there's one more person I need to talk too." I smiled down at the floor. "Can you drive me to Hector's?" I asked.

"Xander?" Emmett sighed. I only nodded my head and bit my lip. "Everything in my heart and mind are telling me not to drive you there." He ran his hand through his hair.

"Emmett please, he saved my life last night. I like him." I whispered the last part.

"I don't want to lose you." Emmett grabbed my hands. I squeezed them but didn't hold on for to long.

"You won't, you're my best friend." I restated what I said earlier to him. He rubbed his eyes with the palms of his hands as if he was having an internal battle. If he drove me or I had to walk, either way I was going to see Xander.

"Fine. Get in." He groaned as he walked over to the driver's side. I climbed in and we had a silent ride all the way to the diner. "Do you need a ride home?" He looked over to me.

"I think I'll be fine." I reassured him with a smile. He simply nodded but didn't smile.

"Thank you." I squeezed his hand and smiled at him. I stepped out of the car and brought my soccer bag with me, I know I smelt and looked gross but this guy has somehow seen me at my worst already. I slid into one of the booths off to the side and waited for him to come out of the kitchen. Xander emerged from the kitchen door as he was carrying two plates to an elderly couple sitting at a table in the middle. His smile was sweet and his composure enduring. He then moved to a table of high school kids and his whole demeanor changed. He became more rugged and less kind. I could see his body shake with laughter as they were saying little jokes. Once he had taken their orders he turned around and made his way back to the kitchen. I cleared my throat before he could get through the door. "Excuse me sir, I would like a menu to this lavish place." I put on an attempted British accent and held my hand out expectantly for a menu. I didn't turn to face him because then I knew my façade would fall.

"Anything for you, my princess." Xander grabbed my hand in his and kissed it. I whipped my head and his lips lingered on my hand as his eyes held amusement and confidence. He slowly got up and went to go bring me a menu. He plopped it down in front of me and sat opposite of me.