Chapter 7...The Big Battle

The last two days of healing at the hospital were dull and boring except for when Kym got Brogan and Seth to come back. Brogan came back to check on me and tell me about what was going to happen in the near future, and what had happened when I got injured, since I still knew only a slim amount about it. He was nice for doing so. Seth also came back to check on me, but he had also come to take a look at and get first aid equipment. It was a field hospital after all. Brogan talked to me while Seth took a look around. He told me that the grenade had been aimed at Damien but the tree got into the way and it blew up. The grenade was the only one the Americans had on them. The cabin members had easily defeated the Americans, but took one as prisoner anyway. He had told them nothing about anything except that the Americans had a genius plan in mind. "Obviously he hadn't known about the map. When you gave us the map to give to General Brock, General Brock already had found one other map. It was their plans!" Brogan said. "That is why you've got to get out of here. The battle could come any day now. That's why you will come with us tomorrow to camp. We will be training for however long it takes for the full battle to take place. Then we protect this country." He said afterwards. "Alright, tomorrow it is!" I said. After a little more conversation Seth came over. He asked Brogan if he could wait outside while he did a small check on me. Brogan agreed and went outside waiting. Not after saying bye and giving me a monster hug of course! Seth talked to me as he took a look at my head wounds. "Theo, I need to tell you something." he said. "Ok, what is it?" I replied nicely. "You know how we lost Duncan? Well the thing is...we may have been able to save him. I didn't realize at the time but the bullet went through. There was ways, I should have remembered Theo. It might me my fault." He said quietly. "It wasn't" I said. "If it had been you that killed him, you would have had to be the one shooting. You know that, you have to convince yourself that." "You're right. It isn't my fault. Is it?" he said looking up at me. "No!" I said. The second I replied that conversation ended. I am very glad it did. "Thanks Theo." he said as he left. "No problem buddy." I said. I realized how much that sounded like what General Sandier had told me. Not bad for a trainee.The next day on the way to camp we heard that things were tensing up at the border. The Americans had won land towards Lake Erie and had the upper hand. We, cabin 6 discluding Duncan, talked about it on the way back to camp. We discussed how we felt about fighting with so much family behind us. Sadly my story came out. They were not all shocked I left. However, they were shocked that Aunt Rose sent the note when I told them about it. I found out a lot about all of their families too though. I found out that all of Brogans family was Scottish and they were all warriors. Some at sea, but most were at the border. I also learned it is the same for Sulakai except that his family is all Metis and Native. He also told us he had a distant family relationship with Tecumseh himself! I told him about my run in with him, and he said that he had been there to witness his very own progression! I also learned that Seth had a younger sister, Damien a large family, and Christopher a half-British, half-Irish family who didn't fight. Calvin told us little about his family, other than the fact that they are a little bit like mine. Four days later the battle of Queenston started. We were all ready and I had overcome my biggest fear. I was fighting alongside friends and that made everything better. My problem basically was not even a worry to me. I was scared but not half as much as the way I was before. We were told in the very early morning hours on October 13th 1812, to fight our first big battle. We were in the fifth battalion with General Sandier, and many other members of the Canadian Militia. We were to be countering the attack of the very battalion that was on the map we had uncovered. Isaac Brock himself had sent General Sandier our battle plans and what we would need to do. This battle was the second in two nights as the Americans had attacked a spot well further down the Niagara River. Thats why we were ready for fighting. It would be exciting and dangerous I knew.When it began, it started badly. The Americans had taken over the top of a ridge which was a much better gun spot. The battle raged on and started to become better for us Canadians. Major General Brock himself led the charge. Sadly, he would not finish it. As we attacked the final charge of the battle he was shot right under the lapel. However he died with true courage and identity. I knew he would forever be remembered if we won this battle.

Our cabin looked like real fighters with experience, not young adults and teenagers with brave, new battle blood. Christopher shot perfect, as did Brogan. Calvin and Sulakai fought hard and beat enemies with speed, Damien led the charge by calling plans and Seth recovered and helped wounded troops while taking out some on the Americans side at the same time. I just did what I had to. I shot, I dodged, and I planned. I tried my best to not go down, and if I was to go down, go down in bravery and courage.It was almost the end, with victory on our side, when Brogan was shot. He was shot right in the left elbow. I quickly called to Seth but saw him nowhere. I ran to Brogans side. I shot left and right protecting him at all costs. I yelled and called for Seth but nothing happened. So I did what I had to. I grabbed Brogan and ran for the field hospital. Had I been two seconds slower I probably would have died. I made it to the small camp just as a bullet went by me and killed another soldier. I gave Brogan to a nurse and grabbed my gun. I then returned to battle. Finally I heard the sound of surrender. It was glorious. We had won the battle of Queenston. I collapsed to my knees. There were so many brave soldiers dead because of this day and it was sad.