32 - A Butterfly Upon A Toad

Why Break A Butterfly Upon A Toad ?

• o 🦋 o •

Riley had flung her arms around Mica and we ate our pizza together, all three of us. We watched a movie and then Riley had gone home.

I wanted to keep Mica's presence a secret for the time being. I would tell my family he was staying here tomorrow. For now I'd just grabbed a spare mattress and laid it on the floor next to my bed.

I offered to sleep in it but Mica vehemently refused.

I sat up on my elbows. Mica came from my bathroom. I couldn't help but notice his shorts and sleep shirt were both green.

"All green?" I asked.

Mica smiled and blushed. He looked away.

"It's... They were the only pair I had. That still looked good." Mica said without looking at me.

That was an outright lie. Had he bought this just for me?

Mica got on the mattress and I turned off the light.

I was hyper aware of Mica's breaths in the dark room.

We lay in silence for about half an hour. I wondered if him coming back to me meant we were all good again. I knew he still cared about me but was he ready to be with me again?

Oh, what was I thinking? Of course not! His father had just left today! It was hard for him. He was not ready to be in a relationship! Why was I so stupid!

"James? Are you awake?" I heard Mica's gentle voice.

"Yeah." I whispered. My voice cracked.

"Um... I.." Mica mumbled. "Can I.. Can I sleep in your bed with you?"

My eyes grew big and I nodded frantically.

"James?"

Oh! He couldn't see me!

"Yes!" I whispered. I sounded so freaking desperate.

I heard creaking and I felt Mica settle beside me. I had my back turned toward him.

"Um.. How are you?" I whispered. Awkwardly put. Good job, Jay.

"It's.. weird. My house is completely empty now. Well, apart from Charles. I really.. I'm really surprised my dad agreed to this. It's unlike him."

"Well.. When I talked to him.. he was holding a family photo of you guys. I realized how much he cares about you and how much he misses your brother and mom. And while I'll never understand how anyone could hurt someone they love like that, his determination to be better and to treat you right.. to right his wrongs.. I could see it all in his eyes. You're his why."

Mica didn't say anything. After a while I felt a gentle arm around my waist. I sighed of relief and held it.

"It's going to be hard not having him around but I know he'll come back better." Mica sighed.

"He will. I know he will." I caressed his hand.

"And.. I'm really happy you're letting me stay here. James, I've never felt more at home anywhere else."

I smiled and squeezed his arm.

We lay there silently. And I thought about things we'd said.

"Mica..."

"Hm?"

"When I saw you and Orlando together... You said you were celebrating. Celebrating what?"

I turned around. The moonlight lit up Mica's sweet face.