🔬 ; lab buddies.

day 6 — experiment

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

they met in marine biology. it was a lab, and really, they were the only two left without partners so there was no other choice anyhow. they got along for the grade; honestly, you only have to be friends with a lab partner for one period.

more labs; they were partners again, and it was smoother that time, and every time after. not quite friends, more so acquaintances. it was simple then because feelings weren't involved.

there was no telling when it became personal, when they became 'friends'. it just...happened. lab partners one day and friends the next; quick, easy, and simple.

it was a change of pace for the both of them. funneh got someone to hang out with besides gold, and evelyn a break from work; things were simple, and the attachments were friendly.

feelings make things complicated.

that's the way it is because evelyn couldn't, shouldn't, love another girl like that. like the couples her family condemned to the depths of hell. she'd hardly cared before, but now her parents' approval meant everything to her.

one night, when it was just the two of them, funneh admitted to it. "i don't think i've ever loved a girl like this before."

evelyn said nothing, as she usually does, and they don't talk about the next morning. something shifted after that night ; something was different, and no one knew what.

the time between hangouts spaced out, and excuses they both knew were lies were given as last ditch comforts. neither of them pushed for answers, and the distance grew.

feelings make things complicated.

because they'd been friends once. something more, nothing now, something neither pushed for; lovers in another time where they did.

they were friends, and now they were lab partners again, where everything had started.

-

fin.

i wrote this in the dead of night in like 10 mins
i'll finish this later 👍🏾