Chapter VIII

Dior's pov

"Thank you ! " i say to my lift, as i drop off the car and walk into my home. He just nods.

I get inside the house and head straight to the bathroom, where i take off my clothes and slide into the bathtub.
I let my hair loosed and slip in to relax.

I sigh. Rather than stressing my mind, i think of all the good things i have achieved so far. "It isn't a big deal to worry about" i say to myself. "It's not sex, neither did i throw myself at him. The only big deal is he works with me now !" I console myself.
As long as that doesn't give him a reason to disrespect me, we'll be just fine.

I smile a bit. "It isn't a big deal, in fact that's the littlest thing to bother my mind " i say to myself

The sweet fragrance of vanilla fills the room lightly, from the diffuser.
I lean over and stretch my hands to take out my phone from my purse that's on my carelessly flung clothes next to the bathtub.
I play little rock by Marilyn Monroe and relax back into the warm water.

I begin to see myself in highschool, the little determined Deborah who wasn't restrained by her background. I remember growing up with both my step parents, i never knew my mom— Dad had been in a coma for as longer as i could remember. My stepmom never forgot to remind me of how worthless i was, i never had decent clothes, i never saw other kids.
On my birthdays i will spend the nights doing chores for neighbors so i could save enough to visit my Dad at the hospital on Christmas Eve, cause that's the only time i could spend the entire day with him— when my stepmom is out with her boyfriend..
I remember having a baby at 14 and how she made me sell out my child to a couple married with no child, with the excuse she doesn't have enough to feed an extra body

I feel hot tears stream down my face as the song shuffles to Adele's Easy on me

Nearly every night i was abused by her boyfriend when she decided to take him into my father's house with her.
I remember telling her— but she often said i had been the one seducing her 'husband'
Months turned into years— when he crept into my room, I would scream and kick him, but he'd cover my mouth with his palms and force himself on me.
Most times I'd threaten to report him, but he'd say 'she doesn't believe anything that comes from you'

It was after my father's death it all dawned on me that life is indeed unfair and no one's coming to save you, if you're not ready to face your fears. I made up my mind— i ran away from home after highschool

I'm suddenly caught off my thoughts my phone rings

It's Sean calling— i quickly inhale and pick up

"Hey ! " I say

"You didn't call to tell me you got home already ! " He scolds

I sniff

"Sorry, I'm a bit busy.. thought to call you immediately i finish " i lie

"Oh okay " he says. "Sorry i didn't drive you back home, i think I'm high " he says laughing at himself

I sniff again, trying to ease my running nostrils

"Are you okay ? " He asks, with some level of consciousness in his voice

"Yeah !" I say

"Alright then, good night " he says

"Good night" i reply— looking at my phone that says it's past 12am already

It's morning already. I get out of the bathtub, tidy myself and go through my business plan for the coming month.
I don't feel sleepy, so i stay awake trying to keep my mind busy.

I decide to call my girls— Teemah doesn't join the group video call, as well as Bernice. It's just LaToya and me, we end up discussing future plans, she advices me... I end up telling her about my date with Sean and what went down with my new employee and I.
She ends up telling me to fire him if his presence doesn't make me comfortable and that's what I'm just going to do.
LaToya is like a big sister to me, we bond on a different level.
I end up being cheered when she tells me, she and Enoch are getting married.
It's all good vibes till we chat until 4:30 and she realizes she has work by 8.

"Alright Dee, talk to you later " she says

"I wish this doesn't end" i whine

"You're a boss ma'am— my case is different, i work 9-5 " she reminds me, as if I have forgotten

"Alright good night— i mean good morning mami " i say

"Great past 4am already, now i have no time to sleep " she fakes cry

"Sorry baby ! " I laugh at her

"No more free therapy for you, next time " she warns

"Yes ma'am " i agree as she ends the video call

I still don't feel sleepy, so i walk into the kitchen to make some toasts— and walk back to watch some movies Bernice had recommended i watched weeks back.

•vote •comment •share