ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔗𝔴𝔬

(EARLY KANAMAFU CHAPTER)
It was almost around midnight before Mafuyu was starting to fall asleep. Though, she forced herself to stay up, dozing off and then blinking to smack herself and keep patrolling. She heard some noises before quickly turning around, only to find her small girlfriend waking up. "Is it still nighttime?" Kanade mumbled.

"I don't know...you're good with time," Mafuyu answered. She was blunt but she was a little happy to see Kanade waking up. Kanade looked up at the sky before her eyes widened, implying she was fully awake. "Almost one in the morning...are you ever going to sleep? I'm awake now, I can take over."

Mafuyu shook her head, saying that she got it. "Now go back to sleep." Kanade shook her head and sat next to Mafuyu. "I'll patrol with you."

Mafuyu blushed and nodded, looking away. "But if you get tired, go back to bed." She felt Kanade laugh a little before nodding. "I'm being serious."

"That's what's funny. I'm usually worrying about you but...I guess you're changing."

"Why would I not worry for you? Did I used to be that selfish?"

Kanade shook her head. "You weren't really selfish, just not really expressive towards anything. It surprises me when you express yourself nowadays, especially about me..."

"Well," Mafuyu started, "you're my girlfriend now and I love you...I think I'm learning."

Kanade blushed at the sudden sentence. This is normal right? This is how people act in a relationship right? Why am I so flustered...?

"I love you too," Kanade mumbled, visibly blushing. She heard Mafuyu chuckle softly before staring off into the distance. Sighing, Kanade laid on Mafuyu's shoulder, trying really hard not to fall asleep. She was woken up by aggressive rustles coming closer. Mafuyu stood up in front of her, guarding her view and getting herself ready. What is it? What is it?! Kanade repeatedly asked herself. She heard Mafuyu groan before sitting back down.

"Fucking animal," she mumbled. Before she could get more annoyed, soft laughter was heard from Kanade. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing it's just...it's funny to see you get upset sometimes," Kanade laughed.

"N-No...it's not."

"It is. You just can't see it from my point of view."

Mafuyu squinted her eyes at Kanade. "You sound like Mizuki." That caused Mafuyu to earn another giggle from Kanade.

"Hey...Mizuki and Ena get attacked in moments like this all the time, right?" Kanade frowned suddenly, "What would happen if—"

"I'm not going to let anything hurt us," Mafuyu swiftly replied. Kanade smiled and nodded. "You should really go to sleep."

"I'm scared."

Mafuyu put her gaze onto Kanade. "Why? Do you...want me to hug you..?" Kanade nodded as Mafuyu lowered her staff to the ground and wrapped her arms around Kanade.

"What if MEIKO just disappeared randomly? If that happened then that could happen to one of us..." Kanade expressed. It was something she was worried about since MEIKO's sudden disappearance.

"MEIKO is different from us. I don't think anything will happen."

Wanting to say more, Kanade kept it to herself and just nodded, too tired to say anything else. She didn't want to admit that she was getting really tired because she wanted to spend more time with Mafuyu. I don't want her to patrol by herself. What if something happens? She sighed and laid on Mafuyu's stomach, enjoying the embrace Mafuyu continued to give her.

"Go to sleep. I'll be fine," Mafuyu spoke but Kanade refused. Mafuyu started to play with her long hair as well.

"I-Is this your way of trying to make me fall asleep?"

"Yes and no."

Kanade hummed in response. Usually Mafuyu was never so touchy-feely. The first time they had physical contact was when Kanade started holding her hand. Stuck in her thoughts, Kanade felt some weight on her shoulder, followed by Mafuyu's breath on her neck. She was asleep. She found it funny how Mafuyu wanted her to sleep. At this point, she was using all of her strength to stay up, due to the fact that SOMEONE had to at least patrol. But what if she gets attacked now and everyone was a heavy sleeper? I'm overthinking, she thought. But it was uncomfortable to her that it was silent, besides the soft and steady snores that came from Mafuyu.

Failing, she slowly closed her eyes, trying to focus on the warmth of Mafuyu laying on her shoulder. It was slowly working. At this point, her only worries would be in the morning.

(A/N: Short because yk. I'm tryna post more early but it's getting harder each day guys. I just can't write anymore, I feel like I'm not interested in writing anymore but idk. I'll think about it).