Chapter 3

At two in the morning, Wanda's insomnia is at its worst.

Even after doubling her regular dose of sleeping pills, sleep remains elusive. She contemplates taking yet another, desperate to silence the thoughts of what Pietro said–about you moving on with someone else. Despite her firm belief in your love for her, her faith begins to falter with each day that passes where her messages are left unread and her calls unreturned.

She wonders how love–a resilient but tainted one–can survive in the dark. If it can survive at all.

Wanda remembers reading somewhere on the internet that the human epidermis continually makes new cells every second, so that in just 30 days, one's skin is entirely new. In months of being apart, it meant that there's no longer an inch of her that has ever touched you.

All that lingers within you are memories of her. How fragile those memories are, especially in a world where forgetting is so commonplace.

Wanda doesn't want to be a mere memory, forgotten and lost. Least of all to you.

She knows it's within your rights to fall in love again, and she's resolute that it should be with her. Her obstinate nature causes her to cling to your wedding vow: that if you don't end up with her, then you'll end up with no one. Maybe she's delirious to still believe that you'd fulfill those promises, especially with how hard it is to reconcile those promises with dead silence.

Nevertheless, Wanda persists. She continues to send you trivial messages, such as a discovery of a new restaurant, what she had for lunch, or even a comment on the weather, casually mentioning how pleasant it would be to go outside for a walk.

Tonight, she texts you about Sparky's visit to the vet, hoping it might provoke a response from you. The message is read immediately. Wanda's breath catches when she sees those three telltale dots appear right after her message. But they soon vanish, leaving Wanda staring at yet another unanswered text.

Tomorrow, then. And if not tomorrow, the day after. Wanda won't let you forget about her.

-

Agatha assists Wanda with the finishing touches on her café, adorning the space with unsold paintings donated by her colleagues from the gallery that Agatha manages.

She's told Wanda that she's considering early retirement to explore something new, and when Wanda mentioned she's opening a business, Agatha promptly volunteered to help on weekends. In exchange, she'd get free coffee and dessert any day of the week. Wanda didn't hesitate to accept the proposal, and they sealed the agreement with a handshake.

"You have an eye for design, Wanda. You could make a career out of it once your cafe takes off and you can hire someone to manage it instead of doing everything yourself," Agatha says, giving the final frame they've hung on the wall a last gentle dusting.

"Thanks. But it's not just me; I had a lot of help from friends at NYU," Wanda says, moving behind the counter to make sure everything's set for the big day, just two days away.

"Are you worried about the opening?" Agatha asks.

"A bit, yes," Wanda admits with a sigh.

"Don't be. Your pastries alone will keep this adorable place afloat," Agatha assures her, casting an appreciative glance at the aforementioned pastries currently baking in the oven.

Wanda smiles, gracious but a little uncertain whether to take it as a compliment. With her former boss, it's sometimes hard to tell. Agatha has a tendency to toe the line between being maternal and condescending.

"That's what I keep telling her," Pietro chimes in, having just entered the shop unnoticed by Wanda. He taps Agatha on the shoulder, causing the older woman to turn her head in an unnecessarily coquettish manner. Wanda lifts an eyebrow as she observes the two.