Chapter Three.

Amidst the luxury of my family's sprawling estate, I stand with a heavy heart, a whirlwind of emotions churning within me. The initial thrill of meeting Nolan McGuire, the man destined to be my betrothed, has been replaced with confusion and aching hurt. His distant demeanour has shattered the excitement, leaving behind an unsettling chill.

Encounters with Nolan are like navigating a maze of discomfort. He ignores me, speaks in curt tones, and glares with an icy detachment that wounds me deeply. It's baffling how he could harbour such disdain when I feel a connection between us, a pull that transcends the confines of our arranged engagement.

As days blur into weeks, I find myself caught in a whirlpool of confusion and determination. I'm set on unravelling the enigma of Nolan, unwilling to let his icy facade extinguish my spirit. His presence affects me profoundly—butterflies flutter in my stomach, even as he remains aloof. In the hushed hours of the night, I confess to myself the feelings I've developed for him. I sense he feels them too, buried beneath his frosty exterior. Fleeting glimpses of vulnerability in his guarded gaze and softened expressions reveal what he conceals.

But why does he hide his emotions? What prevents him from embracing the connection we share? I'm torn between wanting to break down the walls he's built and fearing the rejection that might follow.

One evening, I can no longer bear the tension between us. I seek him out in the moonlit gardens, shadows casting an ethereal spell around us. As I approach him, my heart races with a mixture of trepidation and hope.

"Nolan," my voice trembles as I start. "Why do you treat me like this? What have I done to earn such indifference from you?"

His gaze lifts from the ground to meet mine, a swirl of longing and pain clouding his eyes. He seems on the verge of speaking, wrestling with words that hang heavily in the air.

"I... I can't, Daphne," his voice finally emerges, tinged with vulnerability. "There are factors beyond our control. I can't let myself be consumed by emotions I can't act upon."

My heart aches as I witness his internal struggle. I reach out, intending to offer comfort, but he withdraws slightly, an internal battle reflected on his face.

"I see the conflict within you, Nolan," I murmur, my words gentle. "I feel it too. We're more than pawns in a merger. We can shape our destiny, find love amidst the obligations that confine us."A spark of desperation flickers in his eyes, his defences momentarily wavering. "You deserve better, Daphne," he confesses, regret etched into his voice. "Better than a man trapped by duty, unable to follow his heart."

I'm overwhelmed by a mixture of frustration and compassion. I refuse to accept that our love is an impossibility, that our connection is a casualty of circumstance. I won't surrender without a fight.

"Love knows no bounds, Nolan," my voice gains strength. "We have a choice—to let duty dictate our lives or to embrace the love that's blossomed. Together, we can forge a path that defies the limitations of our situation."

His gaze softens, a glimmer of hope emerging. It's a fragile moment, teetering on the precipice of the unknown, but I'm determined to seize it.