Chapter 2

Entry 2

Friday: September 30, 2015

11:48 p.m.

Japanese cherry blossom. Egyptian musk.  This amazing duet of fragrances is a welcomed reward after the sweat, grime, and battle scars of my run. Surprisingly, I had more energy than I realized. I even set a new personal record and beat my fastest time by two minutes.  But the city is on my skin. I'm looking forward to soaking in hot, sudsy water.  Scrubbing every inch of my body.  Relaxing up to my chin in sweet bliss. As I sit here waiting for my laundry to finish and my bath to fill up, I will ramble.

I'm gonna' be honest.  At the start of my run, I was suddenly ready to get it over with. It was chilly tonight. A crisp fifty-seven degrees Fahrenheit. Most warm-bloods were indoors, leaving the streets desolate and still. Not even the ladies of the night were very visible. I only spotted three, huddled together just inside the recessed doorway of a pharmacy. They were hugging their half-nude bodies and chatting.  Based on their stiff faces, the building was a poor shield from the bitter wind.  

I also encountered an elderly man, bundled up to his swollen, red nose in layers of woolly things. He wore a stylish bibbed cap that matched his thick Afghan scarf.  A breeze ruffled the short, ash-blonde curls, loosely tucked behind his ears.  Our eyes locked briefly and he offered a polite nod. His eyes were a soft brown and they smiled. They also watered from the cold. I found them mysterious. Full of countless stories and youthful adventures. Serenity and contentment as well. Of course, these are complete assumptions. But it's entertaining to weave stories in my head about interesting-looking people I come across. There was an undeniable charm about him. I glanced back and observed his tall, slim frame as he slowly sauntered up the lonely street. His briefcase dangled low, from a hand gloved in black leather. The sound of his leather oxfords tapping the sidewalk was quick and sharp. He veered towards the concrete steps of one of the luxury brownstones on our side of the street. I briefly wondered about his current occupation and the type of life he might lead. Whether he had a wife and kids.  Grandchildren. These thoughts soon faded along with the stranger as we moved farther apart.

It was five blocks before the biting wind made me regret having forgotten my cashmere headband on the island counter in my kitchen. I swore under my breath. The wispy curses blew away in small, puffs of steam. I fidgeted with the neck of my fleece running jacket. Seeing no reason to pick a fight with the wind, I didn't bother to pull the flimsy hood over my head.  Without any drawstrings to secure it, the wind would've only snatched it off again. The tops of my ears stung bitterly but I ignored the discomfort. My stride soon fell into rhythm with my heartbeat. I wished I'd thought to bring my headsets.  Music always helps the time go by. With the back of my glove, I wiped a stream of snot from my nostrils and picked up the pace.

Traffic was minimal, so I ignored a few red lights. An ominous stillness seemed to hang over the sleeping city. There are a few areas where some of the street lamps are just looming, metallic decorations.  These neighborhoods sit in almost complete darkness. This is because our city's council made a decision to not allocate the budget to areas where there are only a few houses.  Fuck how the taxpayers who live there see things. Maybe they concluded that it's like putting braces on a mouth with only one or two good teeth. I can only shake my head at the level of corruption that rules with a heavy hand here as I jog through this section.

The first seven city blocks flowed by rapidly.  The moonlight cast its pale glow over the familiar geometric and organic landmarks that I use to guide my route.  Whether it's a specific business, an empty lot, or a towering billboard.  I can also gauge the amount of distance I've covered using these visual checkpoints. Down to precise meters and miles. It helps keep my mind occupied and feels more cerebral than letting a fitness app do it for me.