A New Road Home

I yawned, spreading my jaws as far as my rubber bands would let me. These braces were sure a pain in the ass. Looking out the car window, I noticed how the scenery had changed from dried up marshes to lush pines and ferns. Cuddling my quit closer, I tried to fall back asleep, without success.

"Just two more hours, kids!" Dad stated cheerfully from the front seat. I groaned silently, twirling a lock of my blond hair around my finger. My cat climbed onto my lap, so I gently scratched her head. I didn't know how Silky was so good at riding in cars. She could just sit in somebody's lap and be perfectly content for hours. My borzoi dog, Vega, on the other hand, was not great at cars. He sat nervously in the seat between my and my sister, pawing at the car cousin anxiously. The other two dogs, though, we're more than happy to lie down in the back of the truck. An adorable little pit bull, Angel, and a mean old German Sheppard named Kurtis.

"Hey, Jackie," my eleven year old sister, Harper, whispered to me. She then pointed to some stupid meme of toes on her iPad, giggling. I rolled my eyes and muttered to myself, even though the meme was actually kind of funny.

Two hours pass, but it feels like eons. Time slowly making its way through a muddy swamp. Eventually, however, we make it to our new house. It was a pretty white Victorian building with vines creeping up the sides. As I stepped out of the car, I noticed how cold it was here. I decided to wear my quilt around my shoulders for warmth. Dried pine needles crunched beneath my feet as I stepped up to the front door. That's when I noticed a head poking out of a window right above me.

"Hi!" Said the deep voice of a 17 year old boy, "I'm Trevor." I franticly looked back at Dad, but he smiled and waved back up at the guy. Then I noticed that there were two mail boxes instead of one. This was an apartment building.

I sighed and stared blankly out at the misty road. The new road home.