Prologue

-Somewhere in the "ancient times" (according to Bingo)-

"I think the spot has to be over this bridge here, babe". Chilli rolled her eyes at the nickname but smirked knowing that was her boyfriend's way of endearment.

He had told her that they were on the way to a "special place". As they carried their backpacks and made their way across the bridge, Bandit and Chili felt like their backpacks were getting heavier by the minute. That, or they were feeling unstable about crossing the rope bridge ahead of them.

"Why don't you go ahead, babe. I bet the bridge will stable itself out once you start walking across it" Bandit said in hesitation.

"Bandit Heeler, how does that make any sense? And besides, I have no idea where we are going! You chose this spot on the map before we even started this trip!"

"Alright, how about we draw straws to see who goes across first?" Bandit asked in a joking manner.

"There's no way you actually packed straws in your backpack" Chili retorted. "That's such a waste of space!"

And just like a magician making an object appear, Bandit had pulled out a pack of straws.

Chilli looked at him in disbelief and partly disappointment. "I can't believe you sometimes."

He smiled and nudged his girlfriend on to lead the way which Chilli was still uncertain about. Now, Italy was a place they both had always wanted to go. During their time dating, they had all these amazing ideas on where to travel and visit. Bandit was all for the travel but once Chilli explained what backpacking was, Bandit was uncertain. He knew how long and tiring the walks would be and how exhausted he would become at their final destination. However, he agreed and would preserver for his girlfriend.

As they crossed the unsteady bridge, it started to sway back and forth between the two rocks it lay between. The wind was no help either. The only thing keeping both dogs on the bridge was the additional rope sides to hold on to.

About half way in and with a slower wind, Bandit had taken the liberty upon himself to swing the suspended bridge they were on.

"Bandit! NO!" Chilli grasped on the rope sides for her life and held on till her paws had turned a whiter color. "I finally get why you wanted to go behind me, you sly dog!"

Bandit laughed from a distance "Haha! Sly dog?" He asked with an eyebrow raised. "I think I like that nickname!"

"Well, don't get use to it, Diddums!" Chilli shot back at him

"HEY! Have you been speaking to Stripe? I told him never to tell that story!" That threw him off guard enough to stop swinging.

Chilli laughed and kept on walking which would soon turn to a run.

"Last one across is a ——-"

But Bandit didn't hear what she had said.

"A WHAT?!" He laughed for a second and bolted after his girlfriend. He wasn't gonna run too fast for he didn't want the ring to fall out of his backpack's side pouch.

As soon as he reached the other side, Chilli was already out of breath and was struggling to talk through her gasps of air.

"I- knew- I would... Beat you- over!" She bent her knees to bend over and take a deep breath (which Bandit had already known wasn't the best way to breathe).

As Chilli took a seat by a tree near the bridge, Bandit had looked over the scenery. There was a vast open field with flowing cool waters that shimmered in the sunset of the land. The breeze had brought a hint of forest and grass in the air with a hint of waterfall. As it rustled the grass and his own blue fur, he was able to take his own deep breaths and calm his nerves.

'This is the life' he thought. 'Now I just need to calm my heart beat down just a little more to be able to do this thing.' "Come on Bandit you can do it!"

"Do what?" Chilli pipped in. He took a sharp breath not realizing she was now standing next to him and that he said it out loud.

"Oh, uhh....." trying to think of a way to cover his tracks. "Eh, why not now". Chilli, who was now standing by him on the path to the open fields, looks at him as he starts to inch his way even closer to her.

"Chilli, We've known each other for a few good years now-"

"A few good years?" She asked with a smug on her face.

"Not the point, I'm trying to do something here."

"My apologies" she fake curtsied. "Please continue".

"Anyway, when we first met in the trailer park as kids-"

"Also still debatable-" Chilli chimed in again.

"Ok ok fine! Let me finish! In London at that party a while back, I never thought that you would be the one. And you probably thought I wouldn't be the one seeing my finger in my nose." Chilli gave a laugh with that one.

"We've had so many high and low moments together. And now, looking for the future, I realize I don't want a situation without you in it. High or low. I need you. And I promise to always be there for you. Will you, Chilli always promise to be there for me... I mean, us in our high and low moments too and be my wife?" He got down on one knee and almost fell in doing so. He extended his paw to Chilli with ring in the other hand. She loved how the diamonds sparkle in the sunset.

With tears building up in her eyes, she had her response
"Yes Bandit Heeler, I do"

"Well, the 'I do' is for when we actually get married but I think the right answer is-"

"YES!" She interrupted and threw herself on him, now standing up but almost falling back down.

"OOUS!" he shouted as he put the ring on her finger. The energy between them was immaculate. They held each other in the strongest embrace they both could muster after that hike and shared a kiss.

As the energy had died down and the sun was getting lower, they each took a deep breath. However, one more question had remained in one of their minds.

"Do you remember where we parked the car?" Asked Bandit.

🧡💙- The First Year, a "Bluey" Story-💙🧡