Chapter 3

Alex's Party

Friday evening cast a golden glow across the city as Emily's mother prepared to head out for dinner with her police officer boyfriend. With the house momentarily empty, Emily saw an opportunity to escape the confines of her own solitude and seek solace in the familiarity of her best friend's home. She knew Katarina's house like the back of her hand, a physical sanctuary where laughter and warmth always embraced her.
When she arrived at the doorstep of Katarina's house, anticipation mingled with nervous excitement within her. The vibrant sounds of music and laughter spilled from the open windows, signaling the revelry unfolding inside. Emily took a deep breath, gathering her courage before crossing the threshold into the vibrant atmosphere of Alex's celebration party.
Inside, the house pulsated with energy. Friends, acquaintances, and classmates were scattered throughout the living room, their voices merging into a symphony of conversations. Emily spotted Katarina across the room, her radiant smile welcoming her in. The girl knew how to have a good time.
Making her way through the crowd, Emily's gaze swept over the scene, taking in the festive decorations and the vibrant atmosphere.

But she really disliked such crowded places. Social gathering was her Achilles heel. Intent on finding a quiet corner, after a little mingling Emily beckoned Kat that she was feeling dizzy and Kat signaled her to head upstairs to her room.
Emily anticipated the solace of Katarina's room. However, as she reached the top of the stairs, she was met with an unexpected sight. Katarina's door was closed. The girl hardly ever closed her room door, unless when in need of some privacy. She'd probably closed it this night because of the many prying strange eyes. She just wanted to get away from the music and the crowd.
She gently pushed the door open, revealing a room in slight disarray. The faint scent of Kat's perfume mingled with the fading music that seeped in from downstairs relaxed her nerves. But then who was that by the window?
The figure outlined by the soft glow of twilight was startled by Emily's presence. The person turned around. Oh, oh! Emily swallowed, her eyes widening in surprise.
"Emily? What are you doing here?" Alex asked, a hint of curiosity lacing his voice.
Emily's cheeks flushed with embarrassment but the unexpected encounter left some lingering excitement. "I... I was looking to rest here for a while. But what are you doing here yourself? Isn't your room on the other side?"
Alex's lips curled into a playful smile. "Occupied. I'm suddenly wondering what I'm celebrating so I came here to escape all the noise, clear my head a little."
"I'll just go back downstairs. You should rest." Emily began to turn around.

"Or, since you're here, why don't you stay? It's been a while since we chatted, after all."
Caught off guard, Emily hesitated for a moment. She really didn't want to go back downstairs. As unnerving as being here was, she still preferred it. She surrendered to the spontaneous invitation without hesitation. She nodded, a mixture of nervousness and anticipation bubbling within her.
Akex laughed, "I don't remember what made me throw a party. I guess it was the excitement of everything. Do you know it's the first time?"
Emily sat on the bed, her eyes shining with enthusiasm. She simply smiled at his talk.
"So, Alex, what are your plans now? Now that you've passed the bar examination, what's next for you?"
Alex leaned against the windowsill, a contemplative expression crossing his face. "Well, my wanting to become a lawyer is happening, you know? But beyond that, I'm moving out come Sunday. I found this cozy place close to the firm in the city that hired me."
"I didn't know you got hired. Congratulations." Her voice rose a notch with excitement. He shrugged and said thanks.
Emily watched him intently, captivated by his passion. "That's truly admirable, Alex. I can feel your contentment. I believe you'll make a significant impact with your legal career."
Alex nodded and walked away from the window. He slowly sat on the bed beside Emily. He was so close that her cheeks began to flush with heat. The last time they were this close was when his parents threw a surprise party for him on his last birthday. That was about a year ago before he went to law school.

As the conversation continued, they delved into Emily's own aspirations. She spoke animatedly about her love for art and her dream of one day owning her own gallery. Her eyes sparkled with a mixture of hope and determination as she painted a vivid picture of her future.
Alex leaned in closer, his gaze fixed on Emily with genuine interest. "Emily, your passion for art is inspiring. That fire in your eyes when you talk about it makes the rest of us look like toddlers when it comes to dreaming. Katarina especially." They laughed at that. "Opening your own gallery sounds like a dream worth pursuing. Have you thought about how you'll make that dream a reality?"
Emily's voice softened, tinged with a hint of uncertainty. "I've been researching and exploring different avenues. Building connections within the art community, attending exhibitions, and even considering partnerships with established galleries. It's a long journey, but I'm determined to make it happen. And, guess what."
"What?" Alex leaned back, grinning.
"My painting won best place at our school's opening exhibition recently."
"That's great! Congratulations! You're one of a kind artist." Alex said, truly elated. He took Emily's hand into his, then nodded, a supportive smile gracing his lips. "I have no doubt that you'll achieve great things, Emily. Your talent and dedication will take you far. And when the time comes, I'll be there cheering you on."
Emily's heart fluttered at his words, a mixture of warmth and affection filling the space between them.
Alex's expression softened, his eyes filled with a mixture of contemplation and tenderness. "Emily, I hope you know you've always been more than just Katarina's friend to me."

Emily's heart skipped a beat, her emotions swirling in a whirlwind of anticipation and vulnerability. She suddenly became aware of how warm his hands were, still holding hers, and then gently their fingers intertwining.
Alex nodded, his eyes filled with a mixture of some sort of newness Emily tried to read. It was warm and inviting. It made her feel like she could lean on this young man in her life.
Alex shifted a little and in that moment, he leaned forward and placed his lips on hers. The contact sent a shiver across her body. A sigh escaped her lips. But she sat still, afraid of what to do. Then his hand came up behind her neck as he shifted closer on the bed. Alex broke the kiss, his face so close she could feel his warm breath.
"I'm sorry, I—" but Emily cut the words from his lips as she leaned in by herself this time, her hands curling around his neck.
The world outside seemed to fade away as they leaned in, their lips meeting in a tender kiss that spoke volumes of unspoken promises and uncharted possibilities.
The night continued to unfold downstairs, carrying with it filters of music to the ears of the two upstairs as they explored deeper with their lips and Alex finally laid Emily on her back.