10 Janna

When Janna awoke, her first thought was panic she'd lost the cart and the children in it. She scrambled to get out of the blanket, tangling her feet in her skirt. But they were there, right behind her. Anton was struggling to get Anyezka out of the cart, but she was too heavy for him. He pulled on her harder, and they both rolled into the wet grass.

"Good morning you two." Janna smiled at them.

"Got to wee," Anyezka said.

Janna pulled her up and took her into the trees. She caught glimpses of others stirring through the branches. When she got back, the Kalinas were up and getting ready to go. "I wish I could take you along." She wished even more she could return to Kaleva with them, but she needed to be sure it was safe first.

"You've been kind enough," Ivor said. "You still have far to go, so don't wait for us. We'll do well enough."

"I hope so." Janna reached into her pocked and pulled out two silver coins. She wasn't sure how much they would buy, but prices in the city were sure to be high.

Ivor shook his head. "I can't take your money, you'll be needing it."

"Not in the country." She pressed it into his hand. "I have everything I need. Who knows what you'll find back in Kaleva. Please, I want to help."

Ivor hesitated, but Greta shot him a look, so he said, "May Ercos keep you then," and put the coins in his pocket. "If you come back to Kaleva and need a place to stay, ask for Ivor Kalina in the baker's street. We'll do what we can for you."

Janna passed around hunks of bread for everyone by way of breakfast, loaded up her children, watered the donkey one last time, and they were on their way.

It was still early, and they were among the first on the move. If they were ahead of the crowds they might make better time. At a point where they were out of sight of other wagons, Janna took out her purse and had Anton put a few of the coins in his pockets.

"Tell no one you have these. We'll try to save them for Papa."

"Franz says that Papa is dead." Anton looked ready to cry. "I told him that was a lie. Papa got away, didn't he?"

"I'm not sure," Janna admitted. "I don't know what happened. We'll just have to wait for him and find out."

"Franz says the soldiers killed every last rebel. Was Papa a rebel?"

"What's a rebel?" asked Anyezka.

"People who fight against the empress. And yes, I suppose Papa was one of them. But we can't be sure of what happened. Franz knows less than we do. Everyone is just guessing because they weren't there."

The cart bounced down the road. The children slept in the back and Janna dreamed. She didn't want to think about the farm and Dimir's relations, so she thought of returning to Kaleva instead. Perhaps they could stay at the Sanova crossroads for a few days until they knew what was happening in the city.

The road was much emptier now since it seemed most people had already turned back, it was warm under the spring sunshine, and Janna dozed off. She awoke with a start when someone shouted in her ear. It was a messenger on horseback who'd come right up behind her.

Janna recognized the young woman's livery as belonging to the Kaleva weaver's guild. "You said it's safe to go back?" Hope surged in her chest.

"It is." The woman slowed her horse to walk alongside the cart. "I'm headed to the eastern towns to let them know it's safe to trade again. The looting has stopped, and they didn't burn anything. The rebel leaders are being hanged tomorrow and that will be the end of it."

"Hanged?" Janna gasped. "Are you sure?" She glanced back at the children. To her relief, they were still asleep. She didn't want them to hear this.

"The news was everywhere by early morning. The general wasted no time giving the leaders a trial the moment he entered the city."

"Have they caught all the rebels?" Janna felt it was foolish to hope, but maybe there was still a chance that Dimir had escaped somehow.

The woman shrugged. "They've caught those inside the city, though they're still rounding up their families if they can find 'em, and looking for those who've fled to the countryside."

Janna's eyes widened in alarm. She couldn't go back then. Not for anything. "Who are they looking for in the countryside?" she asked, trying to keep her voice from shaking.

"Mostly lords. Everyone with a country estate they can hole up in." She regarded Janna shrewdly. "If you knew any of the rebels, and I'm not saying you did, it's best to get as far away from Kaleva as you can and lie low for a while. Just general advice, is all I'm saying."

"Thank you for the news," Janna said. "I'll keep going."

"Find a safe place soon as you can." The messenger urged her horse on. "Nice lady like you and two little ones all by yourselves; there'll be some who'll see you as easy pickings."

Janna wished people would stop saying that. Perhaps she should buy a pistol at the next opportunity.