CHAPTER 1: «INHERITANCE»

A young man named Oliver had recently graduated from the University of Edinburgh and was embarking on an internship at MacKenzie LLP, under the guidance of Olivia, the granddaughter of Lewis, the company's founder.

During his first day of the internship, Oliver was assigned to visit the Campbell family, whose patriarch had recently passed away, leaving behind an ancient mansion as an inheritance for his descendants.

Upon arriving at the estate, Oliver was ushered into an office where he was to meet and familiarize himself with the various family members specified in the will. The butler introduced Oliver to all the individuals present, including the energetic young Sophie, who darted around the room, adding an element of youthful exuberance to the solemn gathering.

After exchanging pleasantries with the family members, Oliver noticed Olivia engrossed in a conversation with Emily, the deceased's daughter. Curious, he joined them, taking a seat nearby and attentively listening to their discussion. Their dialogue centered on the intricacies of inheritance rights and the procedural details associated with the transition of legacy. The conversation was momentarily interrupted by Sophie, who, with an innocent smile brimming with childlike enthusiasm, expressed her aspiration to become a perfumer, just like her grandfather. She even had a name for her future company – "Twenty-First Century." Emily affectionately acknowledged her daughter's dream before requesting a moment to speak with Olivia.

As Sophie playfully skipped away, some of the male relatives leisurely indulged in cigars while reclining in armchairs, their legs casually crossed. They summoned the butler to fetch them glasses of whiskey, creating an air of casual elegance.

Oliver, seeking a breath of fresh air, stepped out onto the doorstep and lit a cigarette. It was then that a young, athletic man in a polo shirt approached him and nonchalantly remarked, "Bet on my next fight." Baffled by the unexpected statement, as he had never encountered this individual before, Oliver simply brushed it off and continued to enjoy his cigarette outside.

"An eccentric character," Oliver mused. He finished his cigarette and reentered the house, where he resumed his conversation with Olivia and Emily. Oliver meticulously documented Olivia's directives regarding the case and the notarial procedures that he would be undertaking on behalf of Emily. The discussions carried on for several hours, and by the time Oliver finally left, the sun had set and the estate was enveloped in darkness.

Onceagain, at the doorstep, he encountered the enigmatic young man who repeated hiscurious question, "When's my next fight? Will you place a bet?"Oliver, now even more intrigued, considered the possibility that thisindividual might be a distant relative with peculiar habits. A wry smile formedon his lips as he entertained these whimsical thoughts.