6

6 - Magnetic

I was adamant about avoiding Conrad for as long as I could, I specifically requested one-on-one time with Cleveland in order to prevent having to work with Conrad, and tried to steer clear of him when hanging around in the house. However, my luck ran out by the time the Fourth of July approached. Susannah made a bigger deal of the Fourth than of Christmas, and it wasn't because she was a huge patriot or anything, she saw the Fourth of July as an opportunity to celebrate family and togetherness during her favorite season of the year: Summer. It was everything she loved all wrapped up into one singular holiday, and she was definitely a sucker for American-Flag decals.

She decked out the entire house that morning. A part of me felt bad because in the earlier years when I had stayed in the house, I typically helped her out with decorations for these types of events. However, still trying to savor whatever Conrad-less time I had left in the house, I stayed in bed scrolling through Instagram. Maybe it was a bit lazy and petty, but those things don't always have to be rationalized, right?

Steven pretty much had to drag me out of bed once the clock struck twelve in the afternoon. It was well-deserved, but I couldn't help but be the teeniest bit peeved at him for doing so. I did not make it easy for Steven either, putting up a fight to stay under the covers. Eventually, he was able to get me out and I figured it was about time I did start getting ready. I threw on a blue halter top with some loose, white, linen beach pants, and some maroon adidas.

Downstairs, Laurel and Susannah spoke with their kids. Steven trailed behind me as we caught word of the news that while John Conklin and his new girlfriend, Victoria, would be joining us, Adam Fisher would not. There was a mix of emotions amongst the room. Steven and Belly were apprehensive towards the idea of welcoming their dad's new girlfriend to the beach house, as Jeremiah looked considerably upset upon realizing his dad would be missing out on the occasion. On the other hand, Conrad looked happier than ever–and I knew the reason. Clearly Conrad did not want to see Adam after his parent's separation, though based on Jeremiah's reaction, I could tell Conrad was the only son who was aware of it. In fact, Susannah's apologetic tone as she shared the news to the boys made me wonder if she even knew that her son had been informed of her split with Adam.

Regardless, everyone's spirits were lifted as soon as the festivities began. Belly's debutante friends arrived in their uber, booze in hand. Belly (who was trying to balance 3 glasses of pomegranate margaritas in her arms) invited me to join the rest of them on the beach. I was a bit hesitant at first, it felt awkward to be around alcohol again after the events of Nicole's party, but after a bit of insisting on her part Belly managed to convince me to come after all. I followed her and Jeremiah to the spot on the beach where everyone had already set up. Belly and I shared a unicorn floatie to sit on, which was unfortunately placed directly across Conrad and Nicole's seats. Still, I was careful not to make eye contact with him, even though I felt his eyes on me the entire afternoon.

The group decided it would be fun to spend the day playing different drinking games. At first I was a bit worried, but when Cameron (who had joined us shortly after I arrived) sat out on the drinking, I felt a little bit better. I still took my turns in games, but had Belly–who eagerly insisted on doing so–take my drinks for me. As we played and laughed, I finally allowed myself to have a glance at Conrad; I guess my curiosity had just gotten the best of me. What I noticed, however, was quite shocking. When it had been his turn to drink, I saw him take a fake sip of his glass before slowly pouring the contents of it to his side when he thought nobody was looking. Had he been doing this the entire time, and had it been because of me?

I looked away quickly once I saw his head flinch towards me, and pretended to be engrossed in the conversation Belly and Shayla were having. I watched Shayla turn towards Steven, who held her with his right arm, and give him a quick peck on the lips. The kiss, however, did not have the same effect on me as Nicole and Conrad's did. It was odd, that sickness in my stomach seemed to only be reserved for him.