Chapter 7 • Unveiling Worlds

The room's oppressive stillness was shattered by the creaking of the heavy wooden door. A chill ran down my spine as it swung open, revealing a figure silhouetted against the dim light of the corridor. A knot of anxiety tightened within me, my breath hitching as I struggled to make out the intruder's features.

As the figure stepped into the room, my heart skipped a beat. I recognized him - the blue-eyed man from school, the one who had drawn so much attention just by his presence. His expression a mix of anger and disbelief. The room seemed to tighten around me as I tried to process the unexpected encounter.

"Finally awake, are you?" he said, his voice laced with bitterness. His gaze bore into me, a piercing intensity that sent a shiver down my spine.

My voice trembled as I struggled to find words. "Who... who are you?" I managed to stammer, my heart racing.

A cold smile twisted his lips, revealing a range of emotions that I couldn't decipher. "You don't remember, do you?" He stated it as if he was someone I should have known on a more personal level.

I blinked, confusion overtaking my fear. Remember what? The question only deepened the confusion surrounding my situation. My mind was a blank canvas, devoid of any memories beyond my time in the foster home.

He took a step closer, his features hardening. "You were supposed to stay away, to leave this town forever. But here you are, back after centuries."

I stared at him, my mind struggling to comprehend his words. Centuries? It was a word that felt entirely out of place in my reality. I opened my mouth to respond, but the words remained lodged in my throat. I couldn't make sense of any of this.

The weight of his words hung heavily in the air, a puzzle piece that refused to fit into the jigsaw of my mind. I stared at him, the confusion and frustration within me threatening to overflow. The room felt stifling, as if the very walls were closing in on me.

"I don't understand," I whispered, my voice tinged with a mixture of fear and frustration. "Who are you? Why can't I remember anything?"

He let out a sigh, a flicker of something softer in his eyes. "My name is Caleb," he said, his voice softer than before. "And I am your brother."

The word "brother" echoed in my mind, a connection that felt both alien and strangely intimate. My mind raced, trying to grasp the enormity of what he was saying. Memories of my life in the foster home, the mundane routines, the faces of the people who had cared for me - they all seemed distant, like a dream I couldn't quite recall.

Caleb's eyes bore into mine, and I could see a storm of emotions swirling within them. "You disappeared from our lives, erased to protect you from a danger you couldn't comprehend. And now, you've returned, putting us all at risk."

The silence between us was palpable, thick with tension and uncertainty. I tried to reconcile the man's words with the fragments of my memories, but it was like trying to fit pieces from different puzzles together.

"Why did you bring me here?" My voice held a mixture of fear and curiosity.

Letting out a sigh, his hard exterior faltering for a brief moment. "To protect you... and to make sense of why you returned."

I swallowed hard, attempting to process the enigma before me. "Protect me from what?"

His gaze drifted to the window, the weight of the centuries apparent in his eyes. "From those who would harm you. Our family has enemies, and with you back, they've grown bolder. You being here disrupts a delicate balance."

A rush of emotion welled up within me. "But I didn't ask for any of this! I just want to understand who I am. If what you're saying is true, then why can't I remember anything? And why did you say I'm your sister?"

He turned to face me, his expression pained. "Our family's bloodline carries great power and great danger. You were taken from us, your memories sealed to protect you and the world around you. But now, the seals have begun to weaken."

The weight of his revelation bore down on me, each word deepening the mystery. I grappled with the emotions that swirled within, ranging from disbelief to a desperate yearning for the truth.

"But why now? Why am I starting to remember?"

He hesitated, searching for words. "It could be a myriad of reasons. Proximity to this town, encounters with those from our past, or perhaps, your own inner strength breaking through the barriers. It's hard to say."

His confession only fueled my determination. "I want to know everything. About our family, about this power you speak of, about our enemies."

He sighed, seemingly torn. "It's a long story, filled with both wonder and sorrow."

"I have time," I said resolutely. The puzzle of my life was beginning to form, and I needed every piece.

He nodded slowly. "Very well. Let's start at the beginning."

"We are werewolves," Caleb began, his gaze fixed on mine. "For generations, our family has been at the forefront of wolf clans, guarding ancient secrets and carrying the weight of power that few can comprehend."

I took a deep breath, attempting to process his words. "So, you're saying I'm a werewolf too?"

Caleb nodded. "Not just any werewolf. You, my dear sister, are a True Luna. The legends spoke of a Luna with unparalleled power, a beacon of hope for our kind. But with great power comes great danger. You are hunted by wolf clans across the world because it is believed that whomever you mate, will be bestowed with extraordinary fortune."

I struggled to come to terms with the magnitude of his revelation. "But why was I hidden away? Why can't I remember any of this?"

Caleb hesitated, his expression turning somber. "We had no choice. Your very existence threatened our pack's safety. Being a True Luna means you could even surpass the power of an Alpha, and that made you a target. With every pack wanting to claim you, wars would erupt. So, for the sake of peace, we planned your escape from this world."

"But how?" I pressed.

"A spell," he replied. "A powerful one. Designed to keep your power and memories at bay, allowing you to live human, protecting you and everyone around you."

Caleb's voice was gentle as he continued, "However, the myths tell of an intricate balance. A mate whose strength matches their own, most True Lunas in history never find or receive a true alpha- This disruption in the balance can lead to chaos."

I felt a chill. "Not every Luna receives a True Alpha as a mate..."

Caleb nodded gravely. "And that's where the danger lies. If a True Luna does not find her True Alpha, the balance of power would be disrupted. It's a balance that maintains peace among the clans."

Caleb continued, "The spell's failure means that now every pack knows you're awake, aware, and among them. We are on the brink of war."

My head spun. The implications of what he was saying weighed heavily on me. If I didn't find my True Alpha, the world of werewolves could plunge into chaos or worse.

My voice trembled as I spoke, "What do I do now?"

Caleb's eyes held a mixture of determination and empathy. "We must prepare Lilly. You must understand your power, your history, and the choices that lie ahead. As you remember and awaken your true self to the truth, we will find a way to secure the balance and protect our pack from the impending storm."

As Caleb's words filled the room, I felt as if a veil was being lifted from my eyes. Memories, emotions, and sensations surged within me, each wave revealing more about who I truly was. The feeling was overpowering, like the rush of an incoming tide, a mixture of apprehension and resolve coursing through me.

As I gazed at Caleb, I understood that my journey was only just beginning-a journey that would unravel the threads of my forgotten past and determine the fate of an entire world hidden beneath the surface of reality.