A Fresh Start (2)

"Hey there sleepy head!" Stacey said while taking some pan out of the oven.

"Hi." I looked over to the dining room and found Kai, setting the table.

"Why are you still here?" I said, but then I realized that it came out more offensive than I thought, but I was too tired to really correct myself.

"Uh, Stacey said I could stay for dinner. Unless that's not okay with you, Amaya." Yes Amaya's my name, but it felt weird to hear it from his mouth...It sounds like it's a slur.

"Uhm, I really don't care what plans you and Stacey have." I did have a little bit of an attitude but he gave it to me first. "What's for dinner?"

Stacey walked over to the table and set the pan on it. "Pot roast! Your favorite."

Totally not my favorite but I'll let her have this one. Or not.

"Uh, thanks for thinking of me but, I hate Pot roast." I could see her smile fade. I felt bad, but I also didn't. She wouldn't have to deal with me right now if she didn't force me all the way out here.

"I'll eat it though." Her smile returned and she took a seat at the head of the table. I took a seat and Kai took the seat next to me.

"Dig in!"

I picked at my food for a while, I clearly wasn't interested in eating it anytime soon. If Stacey noticed, she didn't say anything.

Kai nudged me with his elbow hitting me in the ribs a little. I winced at the pain and glared at him. "What?"

"Eat." Bruh...

"I'm not really hungry, even if I did like this." I lied.

"Oh, but you didn't eat all day." Stacey said it like she didn't believe, and she's fucking stupid so it's hard to believe that she can really tell that I'm lying.

"Doesn't mean I'm hungry." I shrugged and pushed the plate away from me, I turned to Kai who was half way done with his food and he looked up to look at me.

"So what's N.D.I. like?" I asked, I didn't really care, however, I am going to that school now.

He stopped eating, "Uh...it's like every other High school. Just has a lot more activities than normal. It would be good for you to participate in some, if you're interested I would like, introduce you to them."

"Who are you in the high school to introduce me to everyone and everything? I mean, how do you know everything?"

"I've just been going to the school long enough. Also, how are you a senior when you just turned 16?"

"You know, you talk a lot about me." I said glaring at my step-mom, "I skipped a grade."

"Really..." Was that hard to believe?

"She's very smart, you know. I figured you guys would get along, since you both are very serious about your academics." Stacey said finishing up her plate. "Are you guys done?"  She asked us while getting up from her seat and stacking dishes.

"Don't worry Stacey I'll get it, just...go get some sleep." I didn't actually wanna get it, but she was clearly tired and I didn't wanna look bad in front of our guest.

"Okay hun, thanks for everything Kai, we really appreciate it!" Kai nodded and she turned on her toes and headed upstairs.

Kai got up and started to clear the table, I stopped him by holding his hand still when he went to go grab my cup.

"What are you doing?" I asked and let go of his hand.

"I know you really don't want to clear the table so, might as well." He shrugged and continued towards the kitchen sink, I followed.

"Okay but you're the guest, and you did enough work today, it's fine."

"Yeah you're welcome by the way."

"I didn't volunteer you." I crossed my arms over my chest. I looked like a total bitch but I didn't care.

"I know, but I did bring your stuff in your house so you could at least say--"

I interrupted because boy bye.

"Kai, please. The only person that owes you a 'thank you' is Stacey, and she gave you one, so shut the fuck up now." I said pushing him over to the side so I could wash the dishes.

Kai laughed to himself a little, "Wow. Who died to crown you 'Queen of Mean'?"

My breath hitched. I know he didn't mean it like that, but it was just so ironic. I felt the tears start to form, I couldn't make him see me cry though. That's embarrassing.

"Oh...Oh shit, Amaya I didn't mean it like that, you know I didn't!" Wow, Stacey really is a track star when it comes to running that mouth.

"No, I don't know, I don't even know you." I wasn't entirely mad at him, the situation would've been funny, but my dad just died. So nothing was ever actually funny.

Kai walked closer from behind me. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry about your dad, about your whole situation. I really didn't mean it like that Amaya. Don't be mad at me, alright."

I pushed him backwards, "Don't tell me what to do."

I turned off the water and turned to face him. "I'm not even mad at you. I'm not really, mad at anyone."

He was going to say something but I continued, "--And I'm not 'Queen of Mean'. I'm not mean, just bitter. I'm sorry for taking whatever my problem is out on you." I paused, this was way out of my comfort zone right now but I felt the need to, "Thank you, for helping us move in. Making dinner a little less awkward, and cleaning up. Thank you for being so nice to me when I've been nothing but a bitch. You happy?" I tried to stop my tears from rolling down my face but I couldn't.

Kai took his hand wiped my tears smiling down at me. Honestly, it felt uncomfortable at first, if he wasn't cute I would've told him to kick rocks a long time ago, but he is, and this, what he's doing right now...it's cute. Ew. Ugh.

"You're welcome." He said and slowly took his hand off my face. I kind of missed the feeling.

"So, Alex Henderson, he's like the 'god' of N.D.I. by the way," he rolled his eyes making me laugh a little, "he's having a little get together for the new school year. I was wondering if you'd wanna come. Before you say no, There will be about 80 people there so it won't be so intimate."

I thought about it for a second. A party, basically, I haven't been to one since my dad died. I wouldn't call myself a party girl, but if I was invited I would go. However, when I did, I would end up really drunk and hooking up with a random guy, who would turn out to be the son of a friend of my dad who I didn't know until it was too late.

"I'd have to ask Stacey." I lied, I could go without her permission .

"Yea, well just let me know cus' the party's tomorrow night."

"Oh. Well then I'll be there."

"I thought you'd have to ask your step-mom." He smirked. I shrugged and turned back to wash the dishes.

"I'll pick you up at twelve in the afternoon tomorrow, be ready."

"For the party?"

"No, I'm taking you out." He walked out the door before I could argue against it.

***