IX. First Game Back

★ nine ,
first game back

MELBOURNE
september 2022

*ੈ✩‧₊˚           SAM CROSSED her arms, watching from the far back of the stadium as the swifts girls enter the court with ellie to the side of her. she wasn't going to miss odessa's first game back, whether they were fighting or not. this game meant everything to that girl on the court.

odessa wore her hair in a high ponytail with a plaid coming from it and a blue and red ribion tied around the hairtie. her skin shown against the lights illuminating the entire stadium. she wore the light red dress with a large GA attached to the front and back of her dress. the number 93 decorating the bottom sides of her dress, and the top of the back, under the number was her last name 'buckley' in big bolded letters.

technically, they hadn't ended the fight in bad terms. they just weren't on talking terms, sam was always going to turn up to odessa's first game back. no matter if it was that day, or in three years. sam would rather loose her career than miss her bestfriend in her back game back.

ellie was as much as odessa's friend as she was sam's. but, hell did ellie want to knock some major sense into her childhood friend. she didn't know what exactly had happened between the two, but sam hadn't been the same within the past week. she barely was bothered to turn up to training, and when she had she was two hours late, and was constantly checking her phone for some kind of communication from odessa.

the brunette tried everything in her to focus on the upcoming game. odessa wanted to rip out the roots of her hair whenever she thought back to sam, odessa was stupid. sam was only trying to take care of her in the long run and odessa couldn't see that in time.

odessa tightened her hair, her eyes scanning over the hundreds of fans that had come to watch her team, each wearing shades of red and white. the new south wales swifts colours, she smiled softly at the view. she had missed all of it.

she picked up a netball that had been rolled over to her. standing in the outer ring of the shooting circle, she had spent hours re-perfecting all her shots, one pointers and double pointers. odessa let out a shuddered breath and with a flick of her wrist the ball flew towards the goal ring. falling through the net perfectly.

this was her, this place. these people, this was were she belonged. her home, the reason she woke up everyday and fell asleep peacefully. knowing she was loved by so many people, just for doing the sport she loved most.

she partly worried for her leg, afraid that if she well weirdly. her leg would completely collapse and she would have no one to blame but herself, because at the end of the day sam was right. she shouldn't be playing, and she was stupid for doing so.

helen bounced the ball towards odessa with a smirk, starring at the last row of the filled stadium "your girlfriends here."

odessa released the ball from her hand, turning around. letting her eyes scatter across the amount of fans. falling onto the two matilda's players, both wearing red and white scarfs over their necks. and the shorter one of the pair starring back at her.

helen looked between the two, seeing odessa's face. she glared up at sam "what the fuck did she do?"

"don't glare." odessa whispered snapped, turning her back. "she didn't do anything, we just need space from one another for a bit."