The Princess and the Plumbers

Princess Peach awoke to the sounds of panicked shouting. 

After throwing on her dress, she ran outside of her room as multiple Toad guards scurried around the halls. 

Uh-oh, She thought as she waded through the swarm of Toads, That's not a good sign.

As she made her way through the halls, a Toad guard bumped into her, a look of fear etched onto their face. Taking their shoulders, she stopped them from leaving as chaos surrounded them. 

"What is it? What's going on?" She asked. 

"Princess! We have a problem! 

"What's wrong?"

They said nothing, taking her by the hand and nearly dragging her to an all-too-familiar room. 

Bowser's room. 

Peach felt her blood run cold as she picked up her skirts, raced towards the door, and yanked it open, quickly stepping inside to investigate. The room didn't seem that much different from the last time she was there. Nothing seemed out of place, the floor and room itself were still intact, the windows were closed, the door of the cage was open-

She froze.

THE DOOR OF THE CAGE WAS OPEN! 

Open, and missing one miniaturized, infamous Koopa. A chill spread through her body as the princess realized what happened. 

Bowser, the Tyrant of the Darklands, had somehow escaped in the middle of the night, and only the Stars knew what he was up to! 

This is bad, this is really, REALLY bad! She thought to herself. 

If Bowser had escaped, then that meant that (if he wasn't already) he could figure out how to get big again. If he figured out how to get big again, then that meant that he could go back to trying to conquer the world. Which meant another attempt at trying to get her to marry him. Which meant more chaos and destruction as he tried to raid more kingdoms for yet another Power Star. 

And since they discovered the Bros' kingdom of Brooke-Land, then that meant that no one in any universe would be safe from his onslaught. 

That. Can. Not. Happen!

A sudden crash was heard as Toad appeared; his frying pan gripped tightly in his hand as he barged into the palace, heaving in big gulps of air from running. He was walking into town when he saw the palace guards running in and out of the building in a panic. Surprised at the guards not even questioning his presence, he rushed over to Peach, a look of concern on his face. 

"Princess! Are you okay?! What's with all the running?" 

Wasting no time, she raced to her office, grabbed a pen and paper, and quickly scrawled a message before handing it to him. 

"I'll explain later! Take this to Mario and Luigi! I need to speak with them immediately!" 

With a salute, the little Mushroom boy ran into Toad Town.

*****************************************************************************************

The Super Mario Brothers were never in the habit of sleeping in, especially when there was a job to get done.