Hollow

• Dedicated to Krista MonsterLover Red

A monster threatened her village.  He was gruesome and gory, killing everyone who dared step on the dirt road under the moonlight. It was his road. Only from the light of the moon could one find the path to his lair.

She needed to stop him.

One night came and she brought up her courage to step into the night, alone and afraid. He knew she would be there, so he waited on his side for her to cross. She took a breath and stepped forward. She then blacked out...

and awoke in a cave, facing the monster. His head was orange and round, not a human head. No, he was far from human. It was also not his head, but a large, hollow pumpkin with a hideous face carved into it. She stared in fright and confusion, then he took his hollow head off.

She gasped, not in fear but surprise. He was beautiful. Long, dark, luscious, pitch-black hair; sweet, misty gray eyes with a mysterious shade around them, and his skin was snow white porcelain. She couldn't believe it.

She wouldn't believe it.

She retrieved her knife slowly from her boot. He knew what she had planned, but he did nothing. Instead he watched, and smiled. She hesitated.. his smile, the smile of an angel. How could she bring herself to kill this lovely creature? She had to, somehow.

Slowly still, she rose her hand- he watched- she came close to his chest- he didn't flinch- she touched his skin with the point of the knife. He stared into her eyes. Then, he did the strangest thing imaginable....

He leaned closer, the steel piercing his skin, yet he did not show pain. He got closer still, and closer. Now only the hilt and handle of the knife stay in her hand. He leaned even closer, reaching her face. Her face turned red as the blood leaking from the lovely monster's chest.

Their lips met. Lightly, yet with enormous passion, he kissed her and let his last dying breath be hers.

The monster was gone. The village was safe. The girl... was hollow.