Chapter Twelve

For the first time ever, Cole wasn't complaining about his impending death while running alongside Nina.

Cole had crashed at Nina's place the previous night for one of their infamous sleepovers. They had chatted throughout the night about Nina's departure to London.

This morning, when she woke him up at an inhumanly early hour, he hadn't said much.

His mind was clogged with thoughts of his favorite colleague. And then, he thought about the upcoming wedding event he was helping to sort. Because the two of them were correlated.

She hadn't texted him since yesterday. Knowing her, it was weird she wasn't asking more questions about the preparations. She would be the sort of person who would be freaking out even though it was a Saturday, therefore, not working hours.

And that made him wonder if she was okay. Had she finished her soups? Did she need more food? Or meds? Or water? Or company? Was she lonely? Had her parents noticed she was sick and were keeping her company?

He had the urge to check up on her, make sure his favorite colleague would be alright next week. The wedding was next Friday, and he had a feeling Grace would be there, despite not feeling well yet.

Nina halted in the middle of the road.

Cole frowned because they were nowhere done with the run. Nina loved to warm up for hours and they had only finished doing so.

Unless he hadn't noticed the time flying by...No. Not really.

"Something wrong?" He asked.

Have my prayers finally been answered?

It was too good to be true. There was no way Nina was tired and ready to give up on running today.

"Yes." She narrowed her eyes, putting her hands over her hips. "You."

"Me?" Cole asked in confusion. "Nothing's wrong with me. There's never something wrong with me."

"Give me a break." She rolled her eyes. "You're acting weird."

"I'm acting as awesome as usual. What's the matter with you? Did you twist your ankle? Have my prayers finally been heard?" Cole looked down at her, she seemed fine. He actually didn't need another sick or injured person in his life.

His Salty was consuming his thoughts already.

She scoffed. "Nice things you wish for me, thanks. I think I should change best friends."

Cole snorted. "Good luck finding someone better. Spoiler alert, there's no one."

Despite the easy banter between them, Nina still assessed him with a scowl. "Cole, what's the matter with you?"

"Nothing."

She blinked back at him, waiting for the answer. Damn her. She could get answers from anyone, especially because she was never afraid of stating the blatant truth.

Despite that, Cole still didn't know what to say. Nothing was wrong with him. He was only worried about his colleague. That was all.

So, he teased her instead. "What? Do I look more handsome today than normal? Is that it? Don't tell me you are starting to develop feelings for me, I might vomit."

He shuddered at the thought. Nina was like another annoying sister to him.

Just, no.

"No," She rolled her eyes and scoffed. "You're being quiet."

His eyebrows rose. "Quiet? Don't be absurd."

A small smile curled on her lips. Nina didn't bother to cover it, unlike Grace. "I know that. But for some reason, you're quiet. What's on your mind?"