chapter 1

The seas were calm, and the night was clear. Naruto had snuck out of his home to walk along the waves; being an Omega was hard. But being the Omega of the governor of this small Caribbean island was harder. He was followed no matter where he went, which drove him insane.   

Tonight was gorgeous; no clouds in the sky, just stars. The moon happened to be new, and the blackness of the sky reflected onto the open sea and put him at peace.   

Naruto's hair was up in his bonnet, small whisps framing his face. His nightgown was dancing in the waves as he walked along the coast. He walked until he got to the few rocks and driftwood he could sit on and sat back on his hands, staring at the sky. Wishing he could be anywhere but here.   

He had loved being on the sea. The trip from Konaha six years earlier made him want to be a sailor. Being the son of an aristocrat meant he would have moved up the ranks in the Navy quickly. Yet, life would change his dreams and plans. Presenting as an Omega, told he might have one last trip across the sea when he went to be married off to some Alpha who would enhance the family's wealth and status.  

Naruto turned slightly and leaned back along the driftwood, placing one of his legs up, leaving the right one down to have his toes in the sand. The cool breeze blowing around lifted his nightgown and passed his knees. He was enjoying the peace as he stared at the stars.   

He wasn't sure how long time had passed when he could hear footsteps approaching from his left. He knew it wouldn't last forever, but it was nice while it lasted.  

    "Naruto, how often have I told you it isn't safe to wander alone?" Shizuka stated. She still dressed like it was midday; she probably still had her bo staff folded and hidden on her person.  

"I know, I know. But, Shizuka, it's such a beautiful night. How could I not want to be out here with the waves and the stars? The new moon always makes the ocean so fierce. I love it, it's relaxing, and since I'll never live on the water, this is the best it will ever be." Naruto said, sitting up, his toes sinking into the cold, wet sand.    

   She sat beside him on the driftwood, looking at the sky, "Ya know, it is a beautiful night. You never know, your future mate could take you worldwide to see the sights. Not all Alphas are the same."   

Naruto laid his head against Shizuka's shoulder. He was closing his eyes and allowing the breeze to tickle his face when they could hear a scream in the distance causing them both to jump.   

Shizuka was at the ready in seconds, bo out and prepared to go with Naruto tucked behind her and out of sight barking orders in a hushed whisper, "Stay quiet and stay low. Do not leave my sight."  

   Naruto nodded, knowing she couldn't see him, so instead, he squeaked out an okay before she got angry. He was ready to speak up, but the sounds of fighting and screaming were getting closer. Orange lights filled the sky with billowing black smoke filling the once star-filled sky.    

   Shizuka grabbed his wrist; she knew he needed to be protected. Before he presented, she was in love with the young boy. Growing up together, she had hoped she would always be by his side. Now that he had presented Omega and her a Beta, she knew it would never happen.   

    They silently ran along the coast, hoping she could get Naruto to a safe location while all hell broke loose. As they approached closer to his home near the servant's homes, they could see his father with a pistol in one hand and a sword in another.   Naruto was in awe, watching his father protect their home. Frozen, not noticing that Shizuka was pulling on his sleeve, begging him to run as he watched a sword impale his father.