Chapter 3

When I wake up the following day, it's without the sound of the blaring music or the rumble of a motorcycle. Instead, it's the sound of someone knocking on my front door. I wake up confused; the sky is still dark, and I don't know who would be at my door this early. When I reach the front door, the sight of my old rusty car - cleaned of all mud and parked in my driveway greets me.

Dusty is standing there with a travel mug of coffee and a paper bag. He's got his boots on but is wearing a thick flannel and denim jeans. He looks at my pajamas, and I can see a grin trying to peak through his beard.

I'm still rubbing the sleep out of my eye when he pushes past me and stands in my front room. He hands me the paper bag, and I pull out a toasted bagel with the works and donuts.

"The donuts are for me babe, but I made you a bagel."

"Uhh. Thanks, Dusty. What are you doing here?" I must be in a coma somewhere. Dusty is standing there like a lumberjack out of GQ in my living room at 7 a.m.; I must be in a different universe.

"Like I said yesterday, babe. It's not safe to be out in these woods alone. They got bears, rodents, strange serial killer clowns. The whole creepy lot. And don't give me that bull about you being here for months and it being fine. Anyone knows that it's better to be in pairs."

"So what, you are going to join me on morning hikes? Don't you have work to do at your shop?" I'm going to ignore the killer clown comment.

"Nothing that my other guys can't handle. Come on, it'll be fun. I can be your assistant."

Before I can even come up with a counter-argument, Dusty pushes me to my bathroom to prepare for the day. Everything rushes by, and before I know it, we are heading down the western trail, the morning sun casting a shadow on us by the time we get halfway through the route. I've drank the coffee Dusty brought and polished off the bagel. I'm surprised that the giant oaf is pretty good with navigating and can handle the stop-and-go pace I usually set. I was nervous to stop and catalog the different plants we came across because I didn't want to hear the teasing remarks. But Dusty was supportive, carrying my backpack and even pointing out various plants I could have walked past and didn't noticed.

By the end of the hike, it's almost noon. We get back to my house just as Dusty receives a phone call. He takes it as he walks with me to my front porch. I overhear that someone at the shop messed up and needed help. He says he'll be there later and hangs up. He hands me my backpack and says he'll return after showering. That's a thinly veiled command to stay put, but Dusty has been pretty cool to hang out with today, so I let it go. I'm pleasantly surprised.

I go ahead and take a quick rinse as well. I don't know how to thank Dusty, so I pack two sandwiches in a baggy and make one for myself. Dusty knocks on my door after a few minutes, and when I hand over the baggies with a mumbled thanks for today, he gives me that weird look again, like he is confused. I stand there for a moment, unsure of what to do.

"Do you not like sandwiches or something?" I ask, feeling silly for asking.

"Like sandwiches just fine, Bambi. Hop in the truck real quick, babe. I gotta run to the shop, I'll take you into town."

I won't argue against it. I'm so used to being cautious around Dusty, but I've been letting myself go this morning. We've had a good banter all morning, and Dusty hasn't been rude to me yet.

I can't remember another time he has been rude besides the first time, actually. I'm trying not to overthink it as I chew my sandwich in Dusty's big black truck, watching him chew his as he drives down the mountain roads back to Emerald City.