XI. This Is What The Drugs Are For

★ eleven ,
this is what the
drugs are for.

tw; small mentions of abuse

MELBOURNE
september 2022

*ੈ✩‧₊˚ SAM HADN'T heard anything more from odessa since her sudden departure towards sydney. not a single call or text, nothing to update the football player on what was going on. odessa went silent, becoming a ghost to the world.

her disappearance had caused sam to go into a spiral, unsure what to do with her life. she spent most the time at practice, unlike the last time the two had been separated. sam wanted to keep her mind distracted from what was happening, and why it all was happening. no one just decided they wanted to fly up to sydney to see some friends right after they've left with someone who was not happy.

the question continued to linger through sams mind, twisting and turning all the little knobs that lived inside her brain. leaving her tossing and helpless as she laid in bed at night, still receiving nothing from the girl who meant the absolute world to her.

sam stretched her left arm over her right leg, warming up before training with ellie and kyra. her mind going in circles, desperately wanting at least a text from odessa.

kyra huffed loudly, blowing a strand of highlighted hair away from her face "what the hell is going on with you sam?"

sam shook her head with a small shrug. refusing to answer.

"is it because odessa's back in sydney?" kyra questioned further. sam's head snapped to hers, a bit confused on how she knew that information. kyra rolled her eyes "she has her snap maps on guys, she's not old like you sam"

"odessa's back in sydney? why?" ellie asked.

sam shrugged in return. "said she wanted to see the swifts girls."

ellie hummed "that's fair. when will she be back?"

"don't know" sam muttered, letting out a loud groan "she gave me no context, one second we were fine, laughing, nearly kissing, and the next her mother cockblocks us, and now odessa's in sydney ignoring all my attempts to contact her."

"you nearly kissed her?" kyra beamed, excitement present on her features "oh my god sam, what happened to 'her not returning your feelings' attitude?"

"wait. . . her mother found yous?" ellie inquired. a knowledge that she knew something sam hadn't was clear "kat found you two, nearly kissing?"

sam nodded her head "what?"

ellie bit her lip "how was kat acting when she found you both?"

"she seemed annoyed" sam answered "but odessa did mention that they had a table book for that night and that they were late."

"odessa isn't in sydney because she wants to see the girls, she's in sydney because kat's been a bitch and odessa just wants to make her mother happy, meaning she can't talk to you anymore" ellie clenched her jaw "sometimes i really fucking hate that woman."

sams eyebrows furrowed "why does making her mother happy have to do with me?"

ellie looked back at the two coaches, seeing they were out of ear shot. ellie shifted her body closer to the others, sam and kyra doing the exact same thing.