Part 7

For Zoe van Helsing, not only Dracula was a mystery. She was hunched over writings of Agatha van Helsing and Mina Harker, her eyes darting between words 'Blanche Marguerite Cascien' written across the pages.

***

"She was my finest bride," said Dracula indifferently.

"Finest- definitely, but 'bride' only in certain way," said Zoe. "You loved her, didn't you, count Dracula? And she killed herself. And for love of God I have no idea how. It wasn't sun, and you didn't do that either. How?"

***

"She was a truly extraordinary specimen. She had some powers you didn't possess, while simultaneously lacking some of what you had. Even her teeth were different, right? According to sister Agatha, unlike yours, they were straight and small, only canines elongated and pointy. She wasn't made to inflict harm," said Zoe to Dracula's back.

***

"She drank tainted blood," Zoe stated proudly. "Can you imagine how badly she wanted to die? She knew you wouldn't kill her, and she's never have found anyone suicidal enough to kill her. That's how she figured out that sunlight doesn't hurt her- she was willing to burn alive if it meant death. And it didn't work. Then, she tried something else. She was indeed smart woman. She killed herself, but not before ensuring that all those unfortunate brides were dead first. She was so kind, that's why she was such a different vampire from you- she only killed evil people, not caring what effect that will have on her, while you were connoisseur of human blood. That's why she wasn't afraid of cross and sun had no effect on her! And she didn't need to be invited inside either."

There was a brief pause.

"It seems to me she hated life for very long time, something that was incomprehensible for me," Dracula spoke. "And she was often very sad. She kept it to herself, but occasionally- either through mind link, or her behavior- it would slip through. And I brushed it off. I believe you have a name for that- depression," he looked up at Zoe. "Usualy it indeed stays hidden, and everything seems to be fine. And you don't know until it's too late," Dracula finished and his eyes glazed over, his gaze thoughtful.

"So without Blanche, Harker, or any of your brides, there was nothing holding you back in Transylvania. If anything, there was even more incentive to go to Britain," said Zoe and paused. "She was pretty," she said, looking at tiny brown card. "You can keep it, it's yours after all. I have a copy anyway." She said and slid a tiny photo of a young woman under the glass.