The Pair

Author's Note:
Hi, everyone! Nick and I are so excited to have been selected to write this entry on behalf of Crocs for the Crocs Writing Contest!

The clothing, shoes, and accessories we wear can be a vital part of how we all choose to express ourselves daily! And as a couple of trans male queers, Nick and I have both had a very interesting relationship with fashion and brands throughout our lives. So, we can't express enough how meaningful we feel it is to see companies, like Crocs, championing values of inclusion, and uplifting individuality and diversity.

Nick and I hope you'll help show your support for Crocs and their mission, by joining in on the fun too! Nick and I can't wait to read your entries for the #WattCrocs writing contest! ~ Alix (HicksScribbles)

The adrenaline a hockey player feels before they take the ice is unlike any other.

It starts out small when you enter the locker room; discarding your street clothes for a crisp clean uniform that links the team all together.

You aren't just a bunch of high schoolers anymore. You're a tribe. A war party. A band of gods leaving the locker room, with one common goal in mind.

And by the time you reach the bleachers, it's howling through your veins, a combination of excitement and anticipation, mixing with the roar of the crowd, the glare of the lights, and the smell of ice.

In that familiar moment, when the puck drops...

Anything is possible...even magic.

~

"Hey, Faris!"

They were on the brief intermission following the first period. Brian was as easy as ever to spot among his teammates in the crowded locker room. He had a mop of wild red hair that looked like he'd just stepped out of a wind tunnel, when he'd actually just taken off his helmet, and was easily a foot taller than some of the other guys. Big enough to be on a university team, to be honest.

"Huh?" Faris hummed from where he'd plopped himself down on one of the benches. Where the heck was his water bottle...?

"Dude, you did bring them, right?" Brian asked after wading through the sea of pads and jerseys, reaching him right as their coach entered the locker room. "The Pair, I mean. You brought em'?"

"Of course I did," Faris hissed back at his best friend as Coach began his rant. "I showed them to Hector, remember?"

But doubt was already creeping into his stomach. They were a third into their second match of the series and already had two injuries and were three points down against a notoriously good, and rough, team. They'd managed to win their first game against them, and if they didn't win this one, they'd be forced into a third match against the Tigers. If that happened, and they lost, they could possibly lose their position going into the finals.