Two Winter Angels

Hello! This is just a little story that I was writing. Hope you enjoy!! Comments are always welcome

It was winter when I saw her. She stood at the school gate, her black scarf hugging her neck tightly. Her figure was clear as day in the blur of falling white snow. As she stood there, white tumbling down around her, time seemed to freeze. An icy wind rolled in and her scarf lifted itself up and danced. It seemed almost angelic the way the black scarf danced with the white, gentle snow. I blinked, and the angelic moment passed. The gentle snowfall turned into a furious blizzard, swallowing everything in its path. This change reminded me that school would commence shortly and I would be late if I did not move now. As I walked through the school gates, I looked back to see if the girl was still there. She was not. I pulled the sleeves of my jumper down to my hands and wrapped my arms around my body, to try and keep the cold away.

As I was walking past the school gate in the afternoon, I looked back to where the girl was standing. She was not there. Many feelings were rushing around inside of me; wonder, amazement, curiosity, worry, but the strongest one was disappointment. Disappointment because the angel who disappeared in the blizzard was not there, waiting for me. The walk home was filled with my thoughts as I reflected on my feelings about the angel. She was a stranger, yet it seemed as if I knew her.

The next day, I looked at the place the angel had stood as I walked into school, the snow falling at a gentler rate, not unlike the time that the angel appeared. And, once again, when I left school, I looked for the angel. And, once again, she was not there.

Every school day that week, I looked for the angel, and every day, she wasn't there. On Saturday as I walked to the shops, I passed the school gates and looked for the angel, but, as usual, she wasn't there. As I passed the playground, blanketed in white snow, a strand of wavy brown hair flashed in the corner of my eye. I quickly turned my head around and saw a young girl with wavy brown hair running after a young boy, her black scarf dancing behind her with the falling snow as she ran.

'The angel!!' I thought as I raced after her, groceries for dinner forgotten. She turned left, down an alleyway, and I followed her. We ran, the boy at the front, the angel behind him, and me, a few metres away. At the end of the alleyway, they both took a sharp right and I followed. But, upon turning the corner, the pair were not there. They were not running in front, nor had they stopped. They had completely disappeared. Disappointment coursed through my body as I walked back the way I had come. The angel had once again disappeared. The gentle snowfall turned harsher and more brittle as I walked, rugged up in my massive, grey coat and blue beanie, to the shops.

With my arms weighed down by heavy bags filled with food for the week, I passed the alleyway the angel and the boy had disappeared down. I stood there for a few seconds, my thoughts ablaze like wildfire at what could have happened. 'She and the boy disappeared. Could they be angels? Or people from a different world?' Normally so logical and precise, my thoughts became one with my imagination. Theories raced through my head like race cars on a track. When my thoughts finally diffused from my imagination, I shook my head and left, knowing that I was going to get home later than I had intended. At home, after dinner, I sat down at my desk and drew. I drew the girl, her wavy brown hair flowing behind her, dancing with her scarf as her immaculate, white wings blazed in the darkness that was the page. Her eyes were closed, and she was holding someone's hand. The young boy. His clothes were stark grey, melting into the darkness, hiding in the shadows. His wings were grey, like my coat, and his green eyes blazed at me. I tilted my head at the drawing, confused. I had not seen his face, let alone seen his eyes, so how had I know that they were green? My eyes started to flutter closed as my head dropped, my hand resting on the angel who I chased today. And, in the back of my mind, there was a whisper, 'Goodnight, Helena. Sweet dreams, I wish to you!'

The next week went by in a flash. The snow got heavier, the classes got tedious and dull, the less I looked for the angel. My mum had once said, "Those who wish to stay in your life, find a way to. Don't leave a place in your heart for those who don't stay," She had said more, but I could only remember those few words. I mulled over these words as I trudged home from a long and boring day of school, nothing more in my head then I already knew. As I trudged past the alleyway that the two angels had disappeared down, I stopped. The thought of trying to find the two crossed my mind, but I shook my head, freeing my mind of the silly thought. 'Those who wish to stay, find a way, right?' I asked myself as my feet wandered to the alleyway. Noticing what I was doing, I tried to stop moving, but it was too late. I was right in front of the alleyway. The darkness that ringed the straight path down seemed to laugh at me, taunting me. "Are you not going to come down this alleyway? What, are you scared? SCAREDY-CAT! SCAREDY-CAT!" The taunts rang in my ears and I stared defiantly at the darkness.

"You don't know me, so don't jump to conclusions!" I muttered as I started to walk down the alleyway. The darkness receded as I kept walking. As I got to the end of the straight path, I remembered that this is where I lost the two angels. I turned right, holding my breath, expecting the angels to be standing there and smiling at me, yet there was no one. Disappointment coursed through my body once again and I sighed. As I turned to walk back home, I noticed in the corner of my eye, a sharp turn to the left. I stared at it, wondering how I didn't notice it before. Looking at my watch, I saw that my parents would not come home for at least an hour, maybe even longer. 'Well, it's not like I have anything better to do,' I thought as I walked cautiously over towards the turn. The path was narrow, narrower than the alleyway that exited from the street. The path was straight, not a single turn-off anywhere that I could find, and went on for a long time. As I looked down the straight, seemingly never-ending path, I decided I will look into it when I had the time. And, currently, I did not have time. So, with this thought playing in my head, I walked back the way I had come and to my house, parents and siblings not yet home from work and school.

Sitting down at my desk, I pulled my books, computer and study notes books from my bag. I piled them in order of the most important thing I had to do, to the least important thing. Three hours and 25 minutes later, my homework was done, study notes added to and revised, bag packed for the next day, and I was drawing. Drawing the two angels, this time, both of them standing in the secret turn-off from the alleyway. The darkness around them was retreating, for they radiated power and kindness. The girl's eyes were yet again closed and the boys were still green. I was still confused. As I stood up from the desk and got into bed, the front door opened and I knew that Michael was home from university. I smiled at the thought of him, my older brother, the one who cared for me when I was younger, as I fell asleep.

As I walked to the gates of school the next day, I saw the angel, standing there, a bag on her back, and the other angel, the boy, clutching her hand as he stood there with a bag as well. I walked up to them and said good morning, as you might to someone you know. They looked at me, the boy's green eyes wide and the girl's chocolate brown eyes soft and gentle. The girl smiled and replied in a tender voice, "Good morning. What time does school start?"

Then I realized that the two angels were standing at the gates because they were going to school. So as my thoughts became one with my imagination again, I told the girl, "The bell rings at 8:25. It is currently 8:15, so you have 10 minutes until the bell rings." The girl looked grateful and she extended her free hand, saying, "My name is Annabelle. This is Thomas, my younger brother." I smiled softly and took Annabelle's hand, shaking it. When I let go, we both retracted our hands and I said, "My name is Helena."

Thomas smiled at me and said, "We know." Annabelle laughed, putting her arm around her little brother. "I'm sorry about that. You must be so confused! Thomas has a vivid imagination. He wants to be an author when he grows up," Annabelle chirped in a calm and peaceful voice. "Do you want to hang out on the weekend?" Thomas asked as he looked up to me, his eyes shining with so much hope that they looked like newly polished emeralds.

I laughed and agreed. We walked into school together, me and the angels, and we walked out together as well. They came with me to my house and we did our homework together, making nonsense comments about little, random things that no one else would've noticed. It was sad to see them leave, but I knew that they have families that must be worrying about them. As they were leaving, the gentle snowfall turned into a raging blizzard, like the first time the angel disappeared. A few minutes later, I was still standing at the door and the blizzard died down. When I could see properly again, the two angels were gone. I sighed as the feelings of déjà vu and disappointment coursed through my body.