Prologue

With time shall rise a child of the sun
Whom shall turn the tides of a war begun
Darkness and ichor shall birth the tree
That will ultimately set chaos free
Evil galore shall romp and play
Heroes lose what's precious to save the day
The power of gods may bring or stop an eternal winter
But a demon shall emerge the winner

☘☘☘

Leaves rustled and tree branches swayed in a crisp breeze as night fell over a mystical forest. The sun and its warmth had slowly faded away, giving rise to the cold, white light of the moon now high in the deep blue sky. Darkness crept into the corners between the trees and bushes,  and what seemed a beautiful woodland during the day grew more crooked and sinister-looking. Usually, this forest was filled with the cacophony of nightlife, the calls and songs of all the nocturnal creatures. But tonight there was none. The forest remained in a deadly, mysterious silence, as if it had taken a deep breath and was too afraid to exhale.

The silence was suddenly broken by the beats of pounding footsteps. Twigs and undergrowth crunched under black boots as a group of mages entered the forest. Leading them was a muscular, rugged man clad in a white A-shirt and black trousers.

Damn, he thought, Where could they be? His ash-colored eyes raked the tree line for any signs of life, but there were none. Not a single movement that could expose something that could be hiding there. Abruptly, he skidded to a halt causing those in his tracks to do the same.

"Wait a sec, something not's right here." 

"What is it, Captain Yami?" One of the other Magic Knights asked, searching the trail to see if something had crossed their path.

"Do you hear that?" The captain said. The question sure left the others scratching their heads. Not even the chirp of a cricket was audible.

"You must be imagining or something," One of them deadpanned, "I don't hear a single thing." He huffed and his small silver braid blew from his face.

"Exactly, Nozel." Yami frowned, but ignored the other captain's sarcasm. "There's nothing. It's pretty weird for it to be totally quiet in the woods. Normally, there's bugs and animals n' stuff around. So when it's quiet..."

"It means there's danger near." Nozel realized, narrowing his gaze. He turned towards the other knights. "It's clear that something happened close by. This could be what we're looking for, so keep your eyes sharp! Split up and do everything you can to find them and bring them back to safety.

"Yes sir!" Each one saluted the captains and they obediently branched off into the woods. (A/N: haha, "branched")

Once again taking off with a smaller group,  weaving through tree limbs, Yami ground his teeth in frustration. Where the hell could they be? How could they have simply vanished like that? Well, whatever the case, he had to find them. He'd sworn on his life that he would. The sharp branches sliced at his skin, leaving cuts on his face and arms, but he didn't care. Working on foot wasn't the easiest, but flying on brooms would be even more difficult in this case. With the thick tree canopy covering the terrain, it would be impossible to see anything from an aerial view. This closed, thick forest was the perfect place for an ambush. But that didn't scare Yami. He would do anything to accomplish this mission, with something so valuable at stake.

Soon the smell of smoke wafted past his nose. He caught onto it quickly.

"We're close!" He warned his group members, veering in the direction of the musky scent. As the scent grew stronger, more of the dim moonlight poured into view. They gradually slowed as they came across a strangely but perfectly circular clearing. And all froze in shock at the scene before them. The ground was hard and blackened by ash, and all of the trees had been burnt to crumbling stubs. The charred bones of what seemed to be soldiers were strewn about. And right in the center of it all lay what they were looking for. 

"Let the other captains know," Yami breathed. "We found her."