chapter 1 (my angel)

HAYDEE's POV

"Daddy, look at all the balloons!" a little girl exclaimed.

As I turned to see where the little girl came from, it was Fredrich and his family.

We were at the church exit, leading to the parking lot, where vendors sold balloons, flowers, and toys.

"Do you want one?" Fredrich asked.

"Yes, Daddy!" the little girl replied.

"Alright, let's buy two, one for your brother and one for you," Fredrich decided.

"Yes! I love it! Let's buy flowers for Mommy too!" the little boy suggested.

Fredrich purchased the flowers and handed them to Tessa.

"It's lovely! Now even more beautiful because you bought it for me. Thank you, DaddyLove," Tessa expressed.

Fredrich held her hands and gave her a peck.

I felt envious of what I saw, a perfect family - a loving father, a beautiful mother, and two cute kids. Things that I would never have. It's impossible for me.

I couldn't help but stare at them, and Fredrich caught me looking, so I quickly left.

FREDRICH's POV

I recognized Haydee at the church exit, despite her attempt to hide with curly long hair and black-colored contact lenses. Even with her well-applied makeup that transformed her angelic appearance into a fierce one, her blue-green eyes, and her charcoal black straight long hair, I could tell it was her. I saw her observing us, and when our eyes met, she suddenly disappeared.

Now, we were heading to the parking lot.

"Yay! Thank you! Will you buy them all, Ma'am Beautiful?"

"Yes," a woman's voice replied. Upon closer inspection, I realized it was Haydee.

"Thank you again," the vendor said.

"You're welcome. But don't call me Ma'am, call me Tita Haydee."

"So, I have a Tita now!"

"Yeah, sure. Why not help me distribute these balloons to kids passing by? And if you want one, save one for yourself."

"Wow!"

I overhear the conversation between Haydee and the balloon vendor, and it stings my heart.

After giving instructions to the vendor, they went outside the parking lot to distribute the balloons.

I could only watch her as I got into our car and we drove away.

While driving home, I couldn't shake off thoughts of Haydee. Her gaze conveyed a thousand pains and sadness.

"Daddy, there's a lady in the parking lot giving away free balloons, and we haven't gotten one," Spice, my eldest, said.

"I want a balloon too, the one with a frozen design, how pretty Anna is!" Sweet, my daughter, added.

They are now 5 and 3 years old... And it's been 6 years, 6 years of --- I push the thought away from my mind.

"Daddy, next Sunday, we'll wait in the parking lot until that lady gives out free balloons... I'll ask for one," Sweet said.

"Me too!" Spice added.

"And the lady, Daddy, she's pretty with long curly hair, and her eyes are black," Sweet said.

"I hope she'll still be there on Sunday," Sweet added.

I just ignore Spice and Sweet. Tessa is silent on our way home.

HAYDEE's POV

I saw their car leaving through the exit gate. How I envy such a sweet, happy family.

I've always desired one like that, but it seems like I've been waiting forever since I took my first breath, and let out my first cry.

"Tita Haydee, thank you for buying all my balloons and for this one,"

"Welcome... I will pray for you that someday you will be the one giving free balloons, no longer selling," I replied to Bimbo. Yes, Bimbo is the name of the boy balloon vendor.

"That is impossible, Tita Haydee. How could I? If I give the balloons for free, I cannot get back my capital. Then how could I buy a kilo of rice from my profit?" Bimbo

"Don't mind it, someday, you will," I said.

"How I wish!" Bimbo

"Your wish will come true!" I assured Bimbo.

"How did you know that? Are you a fairy?" Bimbo asked.

"No, I am like you, an ordinary human being. Before you think of whatever, let me buy you rice and bread for you to bring home," I said.

"What? I have already profited from all those balloons," Bimbo

"You can give it to your mother for your family's other needs," I suggested.

"Ohhh if you're not a fairy, then you are my angel?" Bimbo exclaimed in joy.

"Angel?" I inquired.

"Yeah, from now on, I will call you not Tita Haydee. I will call you my Angel!"

"Hahahaha...you're funny Bimbo. Okay, if that's your wish," I said.

We went to the nearby store, and I bought a 25-kilo sack of rice and bread.

"Now, you go home... Your family is waiting for you," I said.

"Thank you, my angel," Bimbo expressed as he hopped in a pedicab to go home.

I walked back to the church and had my private prayer. I will recite my prayer for devotion to St. Jude, my strong Saint, the Patron Saint of desperate cases.

"My patron Saint, St. Jude, help deliver my petitions to the Almighty. I don't question my fate; I only ask for strength. Let me be able to carry all my baggage. If this is the kind of life I have to live, then so be it. And in due time, be with me, and may the Almighty accept me in His Kingdom for my eternal rest. I know there, in His Kingdom, there is no more pain. But if my pains here on earth are my passes to be in Heaven, I accept all of it."

After my daily prayer time, I went to my car and drove off.

After a little while, my phone rings. I put it on loudspeaker and answer the unregistered number calling. I know it's Fredrich; only he knows this number.

"You're in the church?"

"Yeah... Why?"

"I saw you."

"Means? I will not go to the church where you and your family are going?" I asked.

"Not that but —"

"Okay, I will look for another church. No worries," I said.

"Today is —"

"Yeah, I know, Sunday. You will be with your family on the weekend. Sure! Enjoy!" I said.

"Hon —"

"Don't worry, I will always understand. If it's hard for you to see me even on weekdays for a few hours, don't force yourself. I am driving now; have a good day," I said and I cut the call.

"It will always be okay, Fredrich. I will always understand. Anyway, I have no choice," I said to myself.

Then I started my car wheel rolling.

***********************************************************************************************
08272023Sunday905am