Chapter One (POV: Potter)

Oh my God oh my God oh my GOD

What in the name of Merlin was Harry Potter thinking? What made Harry think that Cho Chang would want to go to the Yule Ball with him? Sure, he was the youngest child to ever end up in the Triwizard Tournament, and he fought against a Hungarian Horntail and survived, but apparently confessions were a whole different beast. And apparently, that beast was one hundred times more difficult to battle, and much harder to defeat. Cho's words echoed around Harry's head, stabbing his brain in all of the sensitive spots like needles stabbing into pin cushions—or Voodoo dolls. "I'm sorry. I really am."  Of course, Cedric Diggory had more balls than Harry did and ask out Chang first. Tears stung the backs of Harry's eyes like a bunch of tiny wasps trying to escape. Homework could wait. Just another hour or so, and then he could draw the curtains on his four-poster bed, curl up into a ball, and cry himself to sleep. For now, however, Potter was sitting on the edge of one of the water fountains in the school's courtyard. Word had spread scary fast, and McGonagall had ordered Harry to sit outside and get some fresh air. Harry curled into a ball, shoving his eyes into his knees. A drop of water slipped down the side of his cheek. He took a deep—and very shaky—breath. 

"Well, if it isn't Potter. Mourning rejection from that Ravenclaw girl, I see? Are you gonna go crying to that owl later? Pathetic." The sound of the snarky voice made Harry groan inwardly. He really wasn't in the mood to deal with Draco Malfoy Harry looked up. Draco was standing in between Crabbe and Goyle with his arms crossed and a smug grin plastered across his annoying face. He proudly sported a pin that read POTTER DROOLS. "Fuck off, Malfoy."

Draco ignored him. "It's really no surprise, honestly." Draco looked over to Crabbe and Goyle, looking at them for confirmation. They both nodded like mindless idiots. Malfoy focused again on Harry. "Only a foolish pure would ever go to the ball with a half blood like that."  Harry didn't have to look to know that Malfoy was pointing straight to him. 

Harry really wasn't in the mood. So, in a voice that oozed sarcasm and a very strong go fuck yourself in the ass, Harry hissed "Well, what a shame Malfoy, because I was actually planning on asking you to the Yule Ball." 

Draco barked a laugh. "Weren't you goin to ask out Diggory? Since you already took his moment of glory by putting your stupid name in that Goblet, why not strip away his dignity, too?"

"Actually, I was planning to ask Cedric next, but clearly he's taken, so I guess I'll settle for you."

Malfoy stopped laughing and gave Harry a calculating look. "So, is this... a challenge, Potter?"

Harry shrugged. "I guess it is. But you're a coward, Malfoy, so I'm sure you won't do it."

That annoying ass grin returned on Draco's face. He held out his hand to shake. "Challenge excepted, Potter. Meet me in the entrance line at 7:45 to get ready. Don't you dare keep me waiting."

Harry shook the outstretched palm. "I bet you won't last twenty minutes."

"And you won't last ten." Malloy let go, wiping his hand on his robes as if trying to scrape off some sort of germ or disease. "You scared yet, Potter?"

"Not in the slightest. You, Malloy?"

Draco started walking away. "Not in the least bit, Potter."

Harry found himself staring in the direction Malfoy had gone, processing what had just happened. Suddenly, Harry felt something tap his shoulder. He jumped, and looked to find Ron and Hermione standing there, looking at him with worried expressions. Hermione spoke first. "We heard about what happened. Harry, I'm so sorry! We would have gotten here sooner, but someone—" Hermione shot a pointed glare at Ron—"was so focused on finding a date to the ball  that he hadn't even started his Charms paper. And you know that he would have never finished it on time if I had left him to do it on his own terms, so I sat him down in the library and made him write the full sheet of parchment before we came to find you. Are you alright? You sti—"

Ron interrupted her, flexing his hand. "My hand still hurts from all the writing, by the way. But it was totally worth it! I finally got a date to the ball—about bloody time too, isn't it? It's Padma, which isn't all that great, but it's better than nothing, I guess. Do you have anyone else you're going to ask?" Hermione elbowed him hard in the rib cage, and he winced away. "Ow! What was that for? I was just asking!"

"Actually," Harry said. Hermione and Ron looked at him with interest in their eyes, "I do have a date to the dance. It's Malfoy." 

As Harry had expected, this rather random reply forced yelps of shock out of both Ron and Hermione's lips, followed with dozens of questions (What in the bloody Hell is wrong with you?" "MALFOY? Are you deranged?  When did this happen?" "Why???"). Harry explained the whole strange interaction to them, leaving them to sit there to ponder what Malfoy was up to, since there just had to be a reason. They were still pondering this question as they went up to the Gryffindor dorm (the password was currently "Ashwinder Egg") and while they bidder each other goodnight and headed up to the boys' and girls' separate sleeping quarters. Ron and Harry stayed awake a bit longer to discuss the elusive wonder that is Malfoy's motive before eventually undressing, drawing the curtains on their beds, and laying there, allowing theirs minds to slowly lull them to sleep. Surprisingly, Harry fell asleep rather easy, feeling at least slightly assured that even though he hated Malfoy, he no longer had to worry about not having a date. Of course, there was still the chance that Draco would simply not show, but Harry would worry about that when the time arose.