The Bet

Moonbyul wasn’t sure what she was doing with her life before this Sunday, before she saw Wheein and paid her attention for the first time.

Because as time passes since that day, she becomes more convinced that she’s meant to do this; she’s meant to spend her life with Wheein.

It might be weird for other people, that it’s only been four days but Moonbyul feels like she’s already in love.

“Why do you always look at me like that?” Wheein asks, after taking a sip at her milkshake.

“Like what?” Moonbyul asks.

“Like that, smiling at me the way you do.” Wheein points out.

The silver-haired girl reached out for Wheein's hand on top of the table. “Wheein, how can you expect me to look at you and not smile?”

She can never understand why people call Moonbyul the Ice Queen when all she brings to Wheein is warmth.

Moonbyul has a satisfied smirk when Wheein’s cheeks turned bright red.

It made sense to Moonbyul though; it was fate. She’s sure of it.

So she decided not to tell Wheein yet. Maybe after the dance, she tells herself. She didn’t want to risk ruining what they have right now.

Yongsun then walks in on Pop’s Diner and Wheein didn’t fail to notice how Moonbyul let go of her hand.

They also didn’t acknowledge each other’s presence, although it was painfully obvious that they’re aware of it.

“Moonbyul, is Yongsun– is she okay with all of this?” Wheein asked hesitantly, breaking the silence between them that settled for a while. She’s almost whispering just to be sure Yongsun couldn’t hear them.

“With what?” Moonbyul asks, clarifying what Wheein actually meant.

“This. Us.” Wheein didn’t know why saying that made her heart jump, as if it were taking a leap of faith.

Moonbyul couldn’t hide her smile. Just thinking about them as one makes Wheein giddy all the way to her bones.

But then she remembers the question, and how it could lead to more questions if she answered honestly.

“Why are you asking that?” Moonbyul didn’t want to tell the truth but she didn’t want to lie either, she hopes Wheein would drop the subject.

“I just- people talk…you know?” Wheein wasn’t sure how to say it, this is all Hyejin’s fault, feeding her with rumors that she didn’t need.

Although, in Hyejin’s defense, people have always been speculating if Yongsun and Moonbyul was ever more than just best friends.

Byul furrowed her eyebrows. “About what?”

“You know Yongsun doesn’t like me, right?” Wheein asked instead, deciding against her first question.

“Yong doesn’t like anybody, Wheein” Moonbyul remarked, laughing it off, because its true.

“But she likes you.” it slipped Wheein’s mouth. She didn’t mean to verbalize it. But nobody can’t deny the truth in that.

Seeing Moonbyul clench her jaw, makes it hard for Wheein to think that the rumors are just rumors.

“We wouldn’t be best friends if we didn’t like each other.” The silver-haired girl reasoned, feigning ignorance with what Wheein really meant.

And Wheein lets it slide, because she isn’t sure if she’s ready to know the truth.