Research

Working in an E.R was hard work, but Lara loved it. Ever since she was a child, all she wanted was to help people, so becoming a doctor was the logical path to do so. Sure, she could've followed in her brother's footsteps and joined the military, but she knew she would never pass the physical exams. Still, being a doctor was fulfilling and she wouldn't trade it for anything.

Lara had the first weekend off in what felt like ages and she had no plans whatsoever, other than becoming a vegetable in front of her tv and indulging in some sinful eating, something she normally wouldn't do. She would eat healthy the days she would be on shift, plus worked out every day. But her days off were her "cheat" days. No work outs and no healthy food.

She had just gotten home, in the first hours of the morning, after an eighteen-hour shift, when she got a call from her brother.

- "Hey, Jack. What's up?"

- "Hey, kiddo. How are you?"

- "I'm good. Officially off work for the next two days, so I'm good. How about you? How are things in Colorado?"

- "Oh, you know, busy. Which is actually why I'm calling. How do you feel about coming down to Colorado? There's something I need to talk to you about, but it needs to be in person."

- "Is everything alright? Are you okay?"

- "I'm fine, kiddo. I just need to ask you something, but like I said it needs to be in person. So, what do you say?"

- "I guess I can hop on a flight tomorrow morning and be there by lunch time."

- "Actually, I got you on a flight from our airport in Orange County to our airport here in Colorado. You got two hours to get packed and get there. Just give your name at the entrance and they'll tell you where to go."

- "Jack, seriously? How'd you even know I would be able to go?"

- "I called the hospital and they told me."

- "You're a piece of work, you know that?"

- "But you still love me none the less. Now, get your butt moving and I'll see you in a couple of hours. Love ya, kiddo."

- "Yeah, yeah, love you too."

And with that, Lara hung up the phone, laughing, and started packing. She loved her older brother, but sometimes he could be a handful. Still, she loved the man to death, after all he did raise her after their parents' death.

A few hours later and she was in Colorado, being met by her older brother. He was wearing his uniform and she could see the respect he commanded, just with his posture, on his fellow soldiers. She always admired her brother, and was always so proud of him, especially when he was promoted to Brigadier General.

Walking up to him, she hugged him tight. The last time they saw each other had been a few months before for his birthday, which had to be cut short due to his job. She still didn't know what his job was exactly, all she knew was that it involved a lot of travelling to undisclosed locations.

They got in his government issued SUV and drove to his cabin. Lara loved the peace and quiet that always surrounded that place, a stark contrast to New York City. By the time they got there, they had caught up with all the important things in their lives.

Sitting in the back porch with a cold beer in her hands, curiosity was eating at her. Jack had yet to tell her what was so important that she needed to fly out to Colorado.

- "So, are you gonna tell me what I'm doing here, Jack? Not that I mind spending time with you, but it sounded important."

- "Wait here." – Jack got up and went back inside, returning shortly with a folder in his hand. – "I need you to sign this before I tell you anything."